could he have behavior problems??

my son is only 3, but it seems like he is getting more and more like his father, who has had behavior problems all his life. my son isn't in pre-school yet so im not too sure how he is around other kids when im not around. the past 3 days i have had work all day, then i had to go straight to my night class and my parents babysat my son. he was SO bad for them, that they don't even want to watch him anymore. he screams at them "NO!!!" and doesn't listen. he won't eat for them. won't go potty for them. NOTHING. he seems to only listen to me. my parents have tried my methods but it won't work. is it too early to get some kind of tests done on him for adhd? or add? or something?! i feel like i have no other options! pleeeease help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh and i know that 3yr olds are hyper, and independent. but he is like no other 3yr old i have ever seen in my life. so i really REALLY don't think it's "just a phase"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Those aren't ADD/ADHD behaviors. I have a son w/ ADHD. He may have ODD..oppositional defiant disorder. Google the symptoms of it & see if that fits better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• it sounds like he's bored or something. he needs interaction with other kids his age.
    is he kicking, hitting or biting your parents? throwing food on the walls or in their faces? peeing in corners?
    screaming no and not listening doesn't sound like a behavior issue to me. it sounds like a bored child and a child testing limits. (but you didn't give much detail. YOU know your child best).

I have a child with behavior issues. He got kicked out of child care as a toddler for uncontrollable behavior. I personally would not want to get my very young child (such as yours) tested for any disorders yet. They have a higher chance of misdiagnosis. But it is not too soon to get him tested if you truly feel he needs it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• he doesn't bite or throw things at my parents. but sometimes he hits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• hitting sometimes is normal.
    If i were you i'd get him into a regular play group or part time childcare. He needs stimulation from his peers. hanging out with adults all day is BORING. Even if they attempt to make it fun for him. Nobody understands a child better then another child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• it sounds like he is acting out because he misses you. no offense intended but my son is 4 and if he doesnt get enough mommy time (i work full time) then he acts out. i would look into other places than gma that he can go and do fun stuff. like others said, grandparents are not the best choice (usually the cheapest but not the best) they dont have the energy or resources. get him into prek.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Sounds to me he needs time out every time. 1 minute for every year old. Keep at it and hopefully he will get tired of sitting out. Ever watched nanny 911? Those shows have great ideas and they really work, but you have to follow through every time.
    Anonymous