Talking a dr about anxiety?

I think I need to talk to a dr about anxiety meds, but i dont want him/her to judge me. How do you go about asking what needs to be done or what prescription you need? Will dr ask questions to evaluate and see if i actually need anxiety meds or if its something else? I am not always 100% solving with meds, but ive tried calming it myself and i just cant shake it. Its not about everything..but its driving at night, riding with ANYONE, my husband not calling a little bit after he gets off work and sometimes talking to people i dont know. My hands get really hot and almost clammy, right behind my ears gets hot, and my mouth gets sorta dry. I have NEVER had these sort of problems before I moved from my home state or before children, so i dont know which might have triggered it! also, i've never had a wreck, been in a wreck, nothing bad has ever happened to my hubby at work and i've never had anything too weird..CONT'D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Health

• too weird happen when talking to someone i dont know. I just dont know what to do, and i've googled all the symptoms and thats what has come up is anxiety. And well, my mom and my brother have had to be on anxiety meds since my father died (my brother actually has to be on antidepression pills) but I didnt feel a need after he passed, but it just feels like i need something now. I've tried listening to music, or talking (to my kids if its just me at night or to whoever is driving when riding with them) and just anything to take my mind off of it.. anyways, any sugestions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• **Talking TO a dr** please dont bash, it's late.. haha i didnt realize the error til just now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Anxiety is a medical condition and lots of people have it, especially in the last couple of years since the economy tanked. Your doctor won't judge you. He/she will ask about your symptoms and how often you experience them. Don't feel bad about taking medication if that's what the doctor suggest. It's a common disorder. If you don't feel comfortable taking medication, ask for a referral to a therapist. Therapy can help you find the triggers of your anxiety and address them before the anxiety starts.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• MAke a list of everything you wanna tell the doc. Bring it with you. They can determine what meds will work. But tell them waht you want. Keep doing research, but be definate in what you are describing. Medication is a dedication. You must be confident that it will work, and find other coping mechinisms.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think it will be best if you do talk to the Dr. They arent going to jugde you, they see so many people just like you. They wont even remember what personal thing you told them after work :) i had very very bad anxiety, i would have about 5 attacks a day for small one to huge ones where i would have to go some where and cry. I was on meds for a while, not sure if they helped. Talked to a therpist that helped alittle. But them i met my husband and everything went away, that was 2 years ago and i am starting to get them alittle again. You should talk to a Dr. everything will be ok. This might sound crazy to you, but going to church and talking to God helps alot too :)
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies :) I talk to God, and my husband too. Both are very understanding haha. Me and my husband dont believe a pill can just solve everything, and we've never been into that BUT if it will help with me, then we're all for it. Ive prayed about it and everything but I drive at night and i get home with sweaty hands. Riding with my husband, who's never had a wreck and only maybe 2 tickets ever.. i can NOT let go of the side bar thing or squeem when someone is turning into the lane next to us or even just looking close like theyre getting near the line. Its just weird things I guess. And my husband is like, most people are having anxiety about the economy or the future.. I don't have anything about that. We've never gone without before and there is nothing I can control or do about the future itself. So, i dont know. but thank you, i will def call a dr. What type of dr?, just a regular family physcian? I honestly..cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• honestly only go to the OB-GYN and the dermatologist, i rarely go to "the dr", so which type should i set an appt with? again, thanks ladies :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You really should seek therapy first and foremost, there are reasons behind your anxiety that you are not aware of and an experienced therapist will help you bring them out into the light and deal with them...once you understand yourself, your triggers, they turn from these huge mountains into these tiny little barely significant molehills...drugs can't do that for you, only therapy can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i have anxiety...actually i have health anxiety so yes that means im a hypochondriac....i have always been that way ever since i was little but it got worse after i had my son and especially worse after coming off birth control. dont be embaressed a lot of people struggle with anxiety and talking to the dr will help. he may recommend therapy or meds or both..whatever u do listen to what he says. anxiety can cause high blood pressure or many other health prolems.
    Aletam

Answer by Aletam at 4:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist. There is also a book that you should read, called No More Panic by Claire Weeks (you should be able to find it at a library). Magnesium supplements may help, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2010