My Milk Dried Up

I was real sick and now my baby's diapers are dropping. I've had to start supplementing her. Can my husband suck on my breasts help me relactate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is what helped me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Your body knows the difference between hubby & baby. Let baby latch & see if you start again.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Just keep nursing and you can add pumping as well. The milk will come back. The more you get baby to nurse the more quickly it will come back.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Stop supplementing with formula, that's only going to hurt your supply more. I promise your baby will not starve. Just keep nursing, nursing, nursing and your baby will get it back up. You can also take fenugreek and mothers milk tea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Stop supplementing and keep nursing. I also got really sick when my son was about 3 months old. I completely stopped eating and then realized I had also stopped producing milk and my poor baby was starving. I tried to give him a bottle and he wouldn't have anything to do with formula (smart kid!)... so, I just let him nurse and finally got about an oz of water into him and he went to sleep. He nursed through the night and in the morning my supply was back up. I also forced myself to eat.

So, just keep nursing. Make sure you're eating/drinking enough and stop giving bottles. Your supply will bounce back quickly.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010