Why does it seem I am the only one that thinks this sounds greedy?

My little sister is having her first baby and all she keeps saying is " Oh I hope someone throws me a baby shower, I want people to come celebrate and bring me gifts."

1st we are throwing her one but it is a surprisee party type thing
2nd It just sounds greedy as heck to want a baby shower for the gifts.
I mean really? she has the money to buy her own stuff but she refuses to buy anything because " If someone thows me a shower I dont want duplicat gifts"

Why is that all showers are to people anymore? Gifts? That is so greedy IMO
I had a baby showers for my babies.
Ya a couple people brought gifts but it was just a fun party to hang out and celebrate the coming of the baby.
It was NOT all about gifts.
Ieman what do people do when they dont get a party or noone brings gifts? Do they throw a fit about it?
Ugh some people

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sounds greedy. I don;'t believe you should expect gifts or people to buy your baby things (most of the time, EXPENSIVE things). That is YOUR job.

but then again...being materialistic has become so common.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• This is what showers (baby and bridal) have devolved into.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I just dont see them like that rkoloms. LOL I guess I dont expect others to take care of what I need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I agree it's greedy. I intensely dislike this attitude. Showers used to be to celebrate the new life but now it's just me me me stuff stuff stuff.

Rude.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I never got a shower. It was very sad to me, not because I didnt get ton's of gifts, but because it made me feel like no one cared enough about me to throw me a shower. I have given many showers, and am working on another right now. To me the shower is showing the mother to be that she means alot to me and that I realize this is a special time in her life and I want to help her celebrate it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• cassie_kellison

Hun Im sorry, If I knew you I would had thrown you one :)
    I agree with what you said about what they are :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i'm sorry, but i believe the shower is about celebrating new life with gifts. Of course, i also believe your sister is well aware you are going to throw her one, if that is what usually happens in your family. I have four kids and i had a shower before the first. It's to help the family set up for the first baby. Things are expensive, cribs, strollers, car seats, diapers, etc. So we like to give the family a head start. But your sister's constant hints are rather annoying. Hope she realizes the spotlight is about to be off of her and on to that baby real quick!! Like the second it comes out! please do something equally annoying like have the party at an odd time and late in the pregnancy, so she thinks maybe you forgot.
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 6:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• But it isnt about gifts. If you want to help then ok whatever but no need to make a big fuss over a party where you EXPECT everyone to bring you stuff. That is GREEDY
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i agree that the shower is a way to celebrate the baby....the gifts are just an added bonus. but like u said it doesnt matter if someone brings u a gift or simply a card....their thought for you and your baby is what matters! i kno what she means about not wanting to buy anything tho im 23 weeks pregnant and kno im havig a boy but am buying stuff little by little be cause well first this is our second and i may get some of my stuff back from my step sister who used all of my first sonsstuff and second even if i dont have a shower i kno my fmaily will give me stuff and i would rather spend the money on the stuff that i really need or go to garage sales and such to get my stff for cheaper.....i dont need a lot for the first month or so and hope to get a lot for the time after that at garage sales...but i do not expect things if people dont get me things i have enough to get me through that first month and we can get more later
    Aletam

Answer by Aletam at 6:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes that sounds greedy. Personally I love going to showers because I get to see family and friends that I don't normally get to see. I don't like the idea of worrying about the gifts.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2010