Blood and Fat

So I was reading through Lev 3 and came across the last verse where it says " 17 " 'This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.' " Now this is in accordance to the sacrificial laws. Throughout Lev 3 it says that the blood and fat aroma is pleasing to the Lord. I am tired and I hope my question makes sense but, is there any other reason?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 6:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "You shall eat neither fat nor blood: There was a spiritual significance to this command relevant to the peace offering. We enjoy peace with God by giving Him the best (represented by the fat) and by giving Him our lives (represented by the blood).

Even as it was impossible to remove all the blood from an animal, so was it impossible to remove all the fat from meat - this speaks of removing as much as one can practically."

I found this in a commentary by David Guzik right now. The fat represents giving God the best. I thought I had learned that.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• blood is considered life. Fat is considered to be abundance but let me check later more on that.. I should be sleeping but cant!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Some people have taught that God wanted the fat because fat is bad for us. That is because most health "experts" today tell us that fat is bad for our health. But that is not entirely true. Nowadays, health experts will tell you to eat lean meats, and eat a low fat diet. But back then, when people didn't eat sugar and junk food, and they didn't sit on their butts all day, fat was good for you. Traditional diets were high in fat, marrow, protein, veggies, fruits and nuts. More and more nutritionists today are recommending we eat more healthy fats and following the work of Weston A Price, and eat less junk.

Fat was considered the best part of the animal. So by giving God the blood (which does symbolize life) and the fat (which is the best). You are giving God a good sacrifice. What you have left is nourishing protein which the priests would eat.

You would never make an offering to God of something that is not good. JMO.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I want to clarify that my answer above is based on my own quirky/anti-mainstream nutritional ideas and ponderings : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You are right CinnamonMom.. this is why if you read about Cain and Abel... Abel gave the best fat from his flock and Cain gave an offering but it was not the best. God accepted Abel's and not Cain's and he murdered Abel who's blood cries from the ground.

Cain brought an offering to God from the produce of his farm. Abel also brought an offering, but from the firstborn animals of his herd, choice cuts of meat. God liked Abel and his offering, but Cain and his offering didn't get his approval. Cain lost his temper and went into a sulk. Gen4:45 The Message
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2010