weaning a resistant child

I am 6 weeks pregnant with severe morning sickness and have a 15 mo/old still refusing to give up the boob. I need to wean asap because I am afraid my unborn isn't getting enough nutrients. HELP. When I refuse to feed him or offer him an alternative he throws a holy fit and will cry for over an hour.

MissV_66

Asked by MissV_66 at 7:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you keep on refusing and hand him a sippy cup. He will get the picture eventually.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• let him throw a fit even if it lasts 2 hours he will not starve himself. anothe choise if you can't stand the fit is to tell him he may nurse after he drinks 1 oz of milk. after a few days increase it to 2 oz of milk . every few days increase by 1 oz what he must drink before nursing. that way he slowly builds up to not needing you and you will also have less problems with engorgement as you wean
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 7:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I nursed through my entire pregnancy and tandem nursed after. My midwife told me that as long as I ate healthy and enough and took twice the normal prenatal the unborn would be fine. There really is no need to wean unless you absolutely want to. If that is the case then simply drop one feeding per day for a week and then drop another saving his favorite (usually nap and bedtime) for last. Do a little research to calm your fears about nursing while pregnant. I know several women who have done just what I did and others whose children weaned themselves when it turned to colostrum around 6-7 months pregnant. Talk with you midwife or OB about it too. My second child is healthy and happy and still nursing at 29 months old. My oldest weaned when he was 32 months old and is now 4.5 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• kellymom.com has some great info on both weaning and on tandem nursing so i would just browse that site for a bit. good luck :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You don't need to wean. Many moms successfully tandem nurse.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• thanks..I always assumed that you couldn't nurse a baby while pregnant. But I haven't seen my midwife yet. thanks for arresting some fears. the panic of cerebral palsy and folic acid deficiency is my main concern.
    MissV_66

Answer by MissV_66 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2010