Anyone who has had an Amino test done...

My dr really feels i need one done, and my husband and i have agreed. So my appt is on monday morning and i am really scared. Can you please tell me does it hurt? can you give me some insite to them? I know the basics. But if you have been through this tell me your experience, but on the same hand, please dont scare me even more! Thanks

And please dont judge me, you dont know all the details as to why we need this done but i trust my doctors are doing what is best for me and my lil one. Thank you!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 8:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There is a prick feeling & then a LOT of pressure. It isn't really painful, but it's uncomfortable. The needle looks really scary though (I advise not looking at it if you scare easily). But it's a quick procedure that isn't too bad, more scary than anything else. You might also experience some cramping the remainder of the day, they told me it's normal & to just nap through them if I could (since you're suppose to rest & take it easy for a few days afterwards). Good luck mama, hope everything turns out to be fine!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I had one years ago. My son is now almost 16. It was a lot of pressure and a little pinching. Not really pain. I was able to watch the monitor and see what the doctors were doing to whole time. It wasn't that bad really. Take a deep breath and good luck to you and your baby. I hope everything is OK.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I also had one done about 19 years ago. My doctor couldn't hear the baby's heartbeat when I was about 4 months and she thought he was dead and she told me I would probably spontaneously abort over the weekend. But she sent me down to have one and like the others said it's just a pinch, no real pain and there is pressure. You can see everything happening on the monitor. It's really no big deal. Please try not to get worked up about it. Oh, and my son was fine. And still is. Good luck to you :)
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Amniocentisis?

I had one, it was painless.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I had one it's not that bad a little pressure it helped for me to breath while they are doing this procedure they are doing a sonogram to see where the best amount of fluid is and to see where the baby is it's no biggie and good luck..
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 10:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2010