have you ever went to a party or shower without a gift?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I have never gone to a party (that indicates a gift ...) or a shower without a gift. That would be selfish and...cheap.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes when there were several showers for the same person but given by different people.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• the only way i can see that as being acceptable is if you are actually so broke, you cannot give a gift. otherwise you are basically asking if i am rude.... no i would never do that. you could always bring Something!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• if your having a hard time getting a gift because of a tight budget....there are a couple of things you could try ..do you have a dollar tree/99 cent store near you? they always have a good selection of things from kitchen to make up thats good so try there or if you dont have that look around your house your bond to have something you recieved as a gift and never use regifting is ok as long as its in good condition.....or even a nice note to the person with a lunch invite is good...just get creative...GL
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Only if the person has specified "no gifts", otherwise, I always take a gift. I have quit going to showers recently anyway, because I can't stand the corny games and formal sit down meals. I'm from the south and showers are much less informal and fun. I give money to brides and grooms in a card at weddings, and I take a gift when I visit a new mom, but I don't go to showers anymore.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes I have because the people I know dont depend on others to bring gifts. People I know arent selfish
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yep. I sure have. I'm on a limited budget so there's been a few I wasn't able to get gifts for. I usually wait til a few weeks/days after the shower to get the person a gift(something they didn't get) or take them out to lunch.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My husband and friend threw a surprise party for my 30th birthday and one lady who was invited is a single mom with a very limited income. She couldn't afford a gift, so she had her kids color me a picture and she wrote me a nice letter. I thought it was very sweet. She kept apologizing that she didn't have a gift, but I didn't really care because I was so excited and surprised by the party.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I just answered a similar question about baby showers...and the OP was all snotty and closed the question. LOL. She thought I didn't read her question but I was just giving my opinion about baby showers in general. She took it personally and thought I was bashing HER. LOL. Oh my, some of the posters here get so easily pissed off. Anyway, no....I myself would not go without a gift and I would throw a baby shower BUT....anyone who is on a limited budget,...aren't we allll???? We could go to a Dollar Store and get something cute. Or give a package of diapers. For a grown-up Party, a housewarming,whatever,you could bring a PLANT....some of the cute little ones that are about $5.00 ...sigh....lets all calm down,
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I also answered the baby shower question.Isn't that what baby showers are for, SHOWERING the mother to be with gifts? Otherwise, it would be called a Welcome Baby party and you wouldn't be expected to bring a gift. I've been invited to those types of parties before, where it was just a time of eating lunch with the mom and other friends and passing the baby around, and if you wanted to bring a gift you could.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2010