Am I a horrible person?

My dh and I got in an arguement last night because I had told him I wasn't real interested in helping out haiti when there are people right here in america that need help just as bad. Well we quit talking about it and this morning he called me racist. He is mexican and I'm white and I don't have any problems with any people but he talks almost daily bad about black people. How am I racist? I'm I horrible for thinking this way? He said he was sorry he ever married a white person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• then i would tell him to get the hell on
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• No you aren't horrible and your hubby needs his head examined
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• What you said does not make you a horrible person. However, your conversation does point out that you should never make these kinds of statements to him again. It is very likely that he himself is the racist, and so the usual way of handling that is to accuse others of that of which you are guilty. I think that's probably the case with your husband. You can think it, but you don't have to say what you believe about this subject.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• well in a way i do see his his way there are people here in a AMERICA who are not eating lost there jobs wondering if they are going to make it out goverment is helping them out more faster then they are helping us out but on the other hand i do feel very bad for them
    but im sorry i have to look after my family first no one is going to help me out right no one is going to but food on the table cloths on her back a roof over her head shoes on her feet and now we have more poeple coming over here for FREE and get to live here for FREE for ever what about us what about AMERICANS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• nope
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Regardless of your opinion on Haiti, your husband is being a doofus and needs to STFU about YOU being racist. I think the pot is calling the kettle KWIM?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You have every right to state how you feel and it has nothing to do with you being racist. He needs to understand nto everyone feels the same about things and thats what makes the world interesting.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Wow, he's not being very nice. What's wrong with wanting to help on a more domestic level? The whole world is helping Haiti so it's not like you are ignoring their needs. Regretting marrying a "white" person sounds pretty racist to me!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well, what's going on in Haiti is much more sever than any of the problems we're currently facing here. I'm sorry, but even most of the poor and homeless in our country had it better than the average Haitian BEFORE this disaster because that country does not have the money to fund programs to help them. There is no way they will be able to pull out of this on their own. You do come off less than compationate, but I don't think you're a horrible person, just that maybe you don't realize the severity of the situation over there.

I wouldn't say that it was racist at all though. And I think your husband is being ridiculous. Saying that he wished he wouldn't have married a white person sounds racist to me. He's acting like a child instead of communicating his feelings on the subject to try and get you to see the other side of the issue like an adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If anything, he's being racists. Ask him this: If your kids didn't have any food or water, and another little kid came up and was in the same situation and you didn't have enough to feed everyone, would you feed your own or would you let yours go to feed the other one? Especially if the other kid was going to get food and water from numerous other people. I think Haiti should be helped and I'm really sorry about all the lives lost and damage down to their living situations. BUT, there are starving, homeless people here. There are missions and soup kitchens that run out of space and food. I think once we handle our own people, we can worry about saving the world. We shouldn't neglect our own to rescue others. Now, if we had it to spare, it would be different. I'd love to save everyone. But we should start with home and spread out, not the other way around.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2010