How long do they usually do this?

Every night when my son (12months) takes his bath he discovers himself down below....and plays with him self until his bath is over. Sometimes when I change his diaper he tries to mess with his pee pee....how long does this last? How can I teach him he shouldn't do that??

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a natural thing. He's just discovering his body. Technically it will last forever (even grown men do it!) but for what you are asking he will let it go when he's busy playing and doing other things.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My son is almost 2 1/2 and he still thinks it is a great thing. I have no idea where he got this idea (possibly from potty training attempts), but he will run around naked holding his penis and make sounds like pshh, pshh (squirting water sounds); he thinks it is hillarious. Boys!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. Once men find it, they never want to leave it alone. I have a husband and 3 sons, so I should know.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You don't need to teach him he shouldn't do that; there's nothing wrong with it. What he will need to be taught is that there is an appropriate place to do it -- the bath is fine, in private is fine, but at a restaurant -- not okay. He's too young to learn that now, though, and he doesn't have access when you're in public, anyway. Telling him "no" about this can lead to shame which can lead to problems later on.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• forever. Once a man discovers it they cant keep their hands off it. LOL. He knows it feels good and thats why he does it. However now is the time to let him know that there is nothing wrong with it but something we do in private. While yes he may be too young to fully understand eventually it will be learned. Do not make it seem dirty or unnatural. But i's something not to share with others.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My husband still thinks its the coolest "toy" he ever has seen.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2010