Do you give parenting advice to other mothers? Do you care if other mothers give you parenting advice?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 9:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only give it if they ask for it, same for taking it.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 9:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I really try not to give advice unless it's asked for. Lord knows I HATE opinons when I dont' want or need them lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Only if they ask for it. I don't mind receiving advice as long as I'm asking for it as well.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• if asked then yes, otherwise I try to mind my own. If i do i always offer that its strictly my opinion & i realize what works for me may not work 4 another. haven't really been offered too much unsolisited advice yet but dd's only 8 mo & so far well behaved in public.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i do tell people what i did in their situation. not implying they shoudl do the same thing. but just what i experienced. my mil is full of unwanted advise but i just grin and bear it....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'll give advice (unasked) if I overhear someone having an issue with something I happen to know about, but not in a pushy or obnoxious way. Same as getting it. If I ask someone or am pointing out an issue I have and someone jumps in with what worked for them, I appreciate it. Unless of course their advice isn't actually advice and is just them being annoying and pushy, in which case I nod and walk away.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Only if they ask. On rare occasions, if I know they are doing something wrong (such as turning the car seat around too soon), I'll ask them questions about it. Oh, I thought the rule was 20 lbs and 1 year. Guess I just heard different. Let I leave it to them to research it. I also phrase advice in this mannor: Here's what worked for us, but I know all kids are different. .....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I love talking about our kids with my friends..its what we do best! lol. Sure, I give my advice and my opinions and my friends do the same...we compare...we help each other come up with new strategies..we laugh at eachother for our foul ups...we high five for coming out on top. Moms need moms...cause who knows better than a mom? :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I only give it if it's asked or we are already discussing something. Usually it's only to my family and close friends and no major advice. My SIL called me last week and asked me about diaper rash because my niece was on antibiotics and teething and her butt was raw. She got prescription cream but the diapers kept sticking to her butt, wiping the cream off and irritating it more. I told her when my kids had severe diaper rash I plastered their butts with cream then put a loose pair of underwear on so it wouldn't stick and irritate then put a loose diaper over that so they wouldn't pee all over and still had "breathing" room. That's about the most major parenting advice I give unless something more in depth is asked.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I too only give it when asked for it. If I see someone doing something that could be done more effectively I might ask "have you ever tried .....(my way)?" That way it's only a suggestion and they can try something else or keep doing it their way.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010