How many children can I claim on my income tax?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• all children that have resided with you for 6 months or more out of the year. You won't get any extra for EIC after 2 (I think? Maybe 3). But you should still claim all your dependents.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The exact amount you actually provided at least 50% for and are not being claimed by someone else.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 10:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• All of them that are eligible. Check the irs.gov site. They will tell you which ones you can claim

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• As many as you have supported for most of the year (a baby born last year, even if it was on the last day of December, as long as they lived with you, counts as having supported them for most of the year), as long as they are not claimed by someone else. There is no limit. As a PP said, EIC only increases for the first two, but you can still claim others as dependents.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• my SIL said the the EIC had went up to 3 children now
    aerocrombiester

Answer by aerocrombiester at 11:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• not sure if that is true
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Aero you are correct. As far as EIC you can now claim three whereas last year you could only claim two.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• EIC-three. You can claim ALL children as long as they were born BEFORE 1/1/2010.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 5:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010