Do you think you can stop your kid from doing everything? Don't lie to your self!

I am tired of people saying:
Well my kid would never. Yes ok... I am sure they won't.

Reality check:
They might not do it in front of you, but you can't say NEVER:

I know a boy who is a drug attic, he had wonderful parents-4 kids and he is the only one.
I know a girl who had a baby very young-Now is married to a wonderful man, but when she was younger thought she knew better.

We must teach, and they must live, and hopefully they make the right choices.

Stop lying to your self, and making your self look silly... My neighbor my daughter will never says her mom:

Yet she is being felt up by boys in the neigbhorhood, hello.... I teach my kids, and they must make there own path, I pray they do... Yes, I stay on top of them, most of the time I am 5 steps ahead, but I am not God and do my best!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you 100%! There's only so much we can do as parents. We give them the right tools and hope that they use them to make wise decisions. I think a lot of people take their children's poor choices as a reflection of themselves,so they go into denial. It's like they think, "Well I'm not this kind of person, so my child would never do this."
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• That's what I tell women who think their dh would NEVER cheat. Those are the ones that are just too smart to get caught or the wife is too blind to see. I agree with your philsophy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• thats true. we can always be a few steps ahead but we can never be sure. hell, there are things i knew i would never do until i hung out with a certain bad influence croud and really did alotta bad til i got out of that environment. Man, I would take all of that back now. But my mom was shocked to see what came outta me, she thought she was so sure. And you know what, sometimes a little experimenting for kids doesnt mean they went bad, theres still hope to teach them better. I'm not proud, but now I know to always look down at that stage in my life. My mom did nothing wrong though. This is life ladies.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I can teach them as much as I can and hope as much as I can they make the right chooses. But yes when it comes down to it. When I am not there they will make up there own minds. At least I can say I tryed and did all I could.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I know the things my parents did that ensure that me, my sister, and all 3 of my brothers NEVER did drugs, currently do not drink alcohol, did not get pregnant before marriage, etc. We all 5 graduated from college and are stable, responsible citizens. I plan on doing the same with my kids. I can't say that they NEVER will do something, but I will do the best I can to teach them to make smart choices with their lives.
    "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."
    (Proverbs 22:6 ESV)

Answer by missanc at 10:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'm nosey. I have mad investa-ma-gating skillz since I was such a hellion growing up, So I'm usually a few steps ahead! ;-)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Hmmm.....where are these houses with "drug attics?" I want to make sure to never move into one, I prefer houses with regular attics. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think bad kids can happen to good parents, and good kids happen to bad parents. Having said that, I do believe that it is my job to keep tabs on my kids. I also believe that if you keep your children involved in sports, art, music, whatever floats their boats it goes a very long way in preventing them from finding trouble. I think for the most part it is a parents fault when kids go bad. My kids don't run the streets etc. I know where they are, I know who their friends are. This is my job!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't care where a child is raised....

cities-drugs where done on the streets, drinking, rarely at a house etc. I saw it...

suburban-Drugs where done in there parents homes

Hello, It is not the neighborhood, it is the person.... We make mistakes that is what makes us human...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• its definitely not the neighborhood. I grew up in a rural area - my school was known as the 'druggie' school to many. you were lucky if you got out without ever having done any kind of drug (I thought it was gross then and still do)

never say never. I certainly don't.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2010