What is so wrong with high fructose corn syrup?

People are acting like it's poison or something. I even heard someone yesterday equating it with smoking cigarettes. I've read articles with scientific facts stating that it's no worse than sugar ( although, obviously, you shouldn't go crazy with consuming sugar). But, honestly, what exactly is so evil about high fructose corn syrup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It IS worse than sugar.

As for why it's in every food in the market, it's dirt cheap and addictive. Companies can add HFCS rather than sugar and save money. Some foods that do not require sweetener add it because it is addictive; it's a marketing strategy to get you to eat more, hence buy more of their product, thus lining their pockets.

http://www.e-clipse.com/high-fructose-corn-syrup.htm

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/HFCS.html

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/health/questions/whats-wrong-with-high-fructose-corn-syrup

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• sugar is addictive. i am guessing that is what they are talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• OP here: I have another question. I have a friend who says her daughter is allergic to corn syrup, yet I've read articles that said corn syrup is not an allergen. How could she be allergic to corn syrup?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It is the crack of sugars. It also increases blood cholesterol. It is made from genetically modified corn, which has unknown dangers. It is loaded with pesticides that are known to be carcinogenic.

Like other controversial topics, I urge you to do your own research and make your own decision.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well, if it is so bad, then why is it in just about every food on the market?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• HFCS comes from corn. Corn is super subsidized by our government. We actually sell corn below the cost of production. Corn is in 70-90% of the packaged foods in a US supermarket.

Films to watch: King Korn (2 guys grow an acre in Iowa and learn all about the industry), and Food Inc. (the packaged food industry as a whole)

There is a direct correlation btwn eating HFCS and developing type 2 diabetes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Anon 10:17 a.m.: Cigarettes are HORRIBLE and yet they're on the market. Soda is really bad for you and it's on the market. Just because something is bad for you, doesn't mean that it's going to be taken out of stores.

High fructose corn syrup extends shelf life and is cheaper than sugar, so that's why it is used in so many things.

...you know, there are studies that say cigarettes do not cause lung cancer. You need to look at who is funding the research. I try to find the most unbiased research out there...obviously, those funded by products that contain large amounts of high fructose corn syrup may be a little skewed. Would you trust research that came out of Big Tobacco's laboratories? I wouldn't.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It's commonly used because it's cheaper. Sugar is imported, but corn can be grown in North America so that makes it a cheaper option for the companies that produce these "foods". The US government also subsidizes farmers who grow corn crops, which in turn perpetuates the use of HFCS.

I think HFCS is also sweeter than other alternatives. It's heavily processed and unnatural, so although our bodies may process it the same way as other sugar we don't know what effect the processing has on our bodies long term. White sugar is also processed, but I don't know how it compares.

It really is in a lot of foods and I think that will continue as long as it's allowed by the government. There is a lot of controversey about it, but so far it's considered safe by government. As long as there is demand for it and it's cheaper and legal, companies will use it.

Here in Canada it's labled as glucose-fructose. Same thing as HFCS.

EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 11:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2010