This sex selection method does it really work for you?if yes, how did you conceive the sex you desire? ,the one sided pain is it really the sign of ovulation?

I made love a day b4 the pain I conceived a boy,I did it again on the day of the one sided pain, I conceived a girl,the sex selection thing, does it really work for you?I needed a boy badly,on which day actually should I make love to conceive a boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• The pain on one side can indicate ovulation, but it doesn't always, and not everyone feels it. It can also happen anywhere from a few days before to a few days after ovulation actually occurs, so going by timing of ovulation pain will not work for everyone.

And that sex selection method does not work all the time. I conceived both of my kids, a boy and a girl, 2 days before ovulation. It really has more to do with genetics and chance; obviously there's a 50/50 shot every time of getting the desired sex, but you can also look at the father's family, and if there are more girls then he may be more likely to pass on an X chromosome, and if there are more boys then he may be more likely to pass on a Y chromosome. But there's no set way to ensure a particular gender; even costly scientfic gender selections are not 100%, or even close to it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The pain you are refering too is called Mittleschmerz, and it is usually heriditary. I get it and so does my sister, but not all women do. It is a sign of ovulation and it alternates sides each month.
    Male sperm are smaller and faster
    female sperm are bigger and slower and they live longer. So, if you want to concieve a boy, you should have sex the day you ovulate or the day after because male sperm will get to the egg first. If you want a girl, have sex before you ovulate, that way all the male sperm have gone up and died off. I followed this rule and got what I wanted each time. I believe in the end it is what ever nature intends, but it doesn't hurt to hedge your bet a bit does it? Good luck. Oh there is also a book called choosing the sex of your baby. Hope it helps.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Alot of what pp said is true. Female sperm are slower and live longer b/c they contain more genetic material than male sperm. So, you might be more likely to get a girl if you conceive before you ovulate. Also, as men age, they are more likely to carry female sperm, so that could be a factor.

With my first, I was tracking my ovulation and we started trying the day before I was supposed to ovulate and I had a girl (we weren't trying for one specific sex). My second was not planned at all, and was conceived way before I thought I was supposed to ovulate and also was a girl.

Really, it's more a genetic lottery, but I guess based on some of the factors, you might be more likely to get one or the other.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 11:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'll ask my husband since he's the one who shot the sex chromosome out.
    Anonymous

• Seriously, you NEED a boy? To carry on the family name or what? This line of questioning seems utterly ridiculous to me. But good luck with that.
    Anonymous