what is the appropriate age to potty train and how do you know if theyre ready

gabesmom1

Asked by gabesmom1 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a window around 22mo that seems to be the easiest time. I have trained 3 children of my own and a large group of toddlers in my daycare at that age. Many people confuse readiness with self reliance. They wait for the child to just potty train themselves. It is a process, you can choose to teach the child how to understand their body or you can just wait until they are uncomfortable crapping their pants in public.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 10:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• when they starting taking their diapers off, taking their clothes off, or even when they start following you to the bathroom. I would put them on their own little potty chair every time that you go to the bathroom. sit it right next to your toilet, and that would help them sit there better, because they see their parents doing it. If they want to sneak in the bathroom, just sit them on the potty chair for a few minutes. you could even get them a book with pictures in it to look at. Make sure that you get reward and praise them for every little accomplishment made. NEVER, NEVER discipline your child for not going, this will cause the oppisate effect that you want, and will make it take longer. If they can walk, I say start trying.
    mrs.arnett

Answer by mrs.arnett at 10:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My oldest son, which is now 5, didn't potty train until around 2 1/2. Most of this had to do with our environment when his real dad was in the picture, then almost immediately after him leaving he was willing to potty train. My youngest son, now 2, starting potty training when he was about 1 1/2 months. We only a little help from my now husband and myself, and watching his big bro, helped him to notice that he wanted to be a big boy just like his older bro. So I think that it is different for every child. I learned from my oldest to not push the child, to help them, and not to get to upset if they have an accident. hope this helps
    cmanasco

Answer by cmanasco at 10:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• There is no "magic" age. You'll know when your kid starts expressing his or her interest. I didn't start worrying about potty training until my son came up to me, said he had to go pee pee and went pee in the toilet. After that, I figured he was ready to start. He went half of the time in the toilet and the other half in his pull up. It took about 2 months. When his brother was born, he regressed a bit, but then went right back to going on the potty.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 10:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• There's no "appropriate age". When the child shows signs of being ready to potty train, you can begin. The child will usually complain about a soiled diaper and want it changed immediately, will talk about or show interest in the potty, will talk about needing to "pee" or "poop".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• my grandma (had 13 kids) started potty training when the babies woke up dry.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• After 18 months is the age most experts say they're capable of bladder control. After that it's fair game. It just depends on how you want to do it, which really depends on your parenting style. Many parents do wait until the child says, 'hey, I need to pee," they take them to the toilet, and they're basically trained. But sometimes that's not until age 3 or 4, and for some kids this day does not come (which can lead to parents trying to train a seriously resistant 3 or 4 year-old). We knew our daughter would be capable of learning to use the potty -- so we taught her much sooner. She was 19 months, and we simply got rid of the diapers (kept pull-ups for sleep time), and dealt with several days of accidents. Maybe not as easy in the moment, but we were all happy, her included, to be out of diapers. Although there was some resistance, it was like any transition and we gave her a supportive environment to help her through.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• like anon:47 said there is no age. my dd was ready at 18 mts but my 2 nieves werent ready till they were 2 1/2. is all about signs. some kids dont potty tarin till they are 3
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I just got done potty training my 2 year old. She just turned 2. My oldest I did at 18 months. Really for me it was gut that told me. But also my oldest held it for 4 hours in the day and was waking up dry after 12 hours sleep. My youngest, kept asking to use the potty would sit and use the training potty, and wipe herself. So I trained her.
    I did it with bare bottom until she knew when she had to go, why make more laundry. Then we would read books or sing on the potty. Then we did cloth undies while at home and pull up while out. With in a week we are at cloth undies and diapers/pull ups at night only. And I am learning agian were all the potties are in the stores. Oh and I gave her a reward for using the potty until she was saying I have to go potty and going and peeing with having to read books or what ever to get her to stay put.

So it is when you think they are ready, some early others not till 3 or 4.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010