What is meant by "dry" white wine? And how can I tell at the store whether a particular wine is "dry"?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Dry is not sweet. Different kinds of wine tend to be drier than others. Most chardonnay wines are dry.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I know a bit about wine so here it goes. You sound like you need it for a recipe, not drinking right? Well "dry" is just telling you not to buy a sweet white wine. Dry could be a chardonnay not a Moscoto or Spatlase (which is sweet)don't worry you can find them cheap all the way to pricey. GL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You can definitely tell when it's dry because it's not sweet.

I think it's best to go to a store that knows about wine. They will point you in the right direction on what kind of wine to get.
    Anonymous

• sweet white wines tend to be in taller thinner bottles, and dryer are shorter and fatter bottles. just what i have seen, i'm not saying it is science!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If you can go to a wine store, then you should be able to ask them which ones are dry. Whatever you do, don't buy "cooking wine". Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink because the flavor just won't be the same. I don't drink a lot of white wines, but Chablis, Vermouth, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, those are normally used in recipes calling for dry white wines. I believe the last time I cooked with white, it was a Chardonnay which has a pretty strong flavor.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010