13yr old son wants a girlfriend??

what can i say to a 13yr old boy that he is not old enough to have a girlfriend, when all of his friends have girlfriends?????????

gonzalez3

Asked by gonzalez3 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you tell him the house rules and don't leave it open for discussion.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Tell him you said no, and that is the final answer. I think it would be very important to talk with his father as well so that you guys are both telling him no. It doesn't do much good if you tell him no but dad says its fine.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Tough the answer is NO.  That's their household not ours and just smile. big smile mini

Anonymous

• Girls are the root of all evil and he has lots of time to find that out later in life. Tell him to enjoy the last few years of innocent freedom before he spends the rest of his years chasing skirts!!! Or something more PC to that effect :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• :) You tell him the house rules and realize that he'll probably have a secret girlfriend that he doesn't tell you about, which is fine.
    Anonymous

• I have a 10 and 11 year old boy, so I kind of know where you are coming from. Actually my 11 year old is NOT interested in girls right now at all. Sure, he looks, and blushes if we talk about a girl that he thinks is cute, but he's not interested in "dating" yet. My 10 year old, well he's another story. LOL!! He would love to have a girlfriend, but...Sorry bud, that's not how we do it in our family. We've told him that he is not allowed to "date" or have a "girlfriend" and we've told him why we think that. I would tell your son, sorry, but we don't do that in this house, that's the rules. Just tell him, it may be OK in his friends house to have girlfriends, but it's not OK in yours. Your the boss, don't forget that ;)
    Anonymous

• Telling him No is only going to make him want a girlfriend more, and he will end up sneaking around. I don't see the problem with a 13 y.o having a girlfriend. He is too young to date and things like that, but at 13 kids sit by eachother at lunch or walk around the yard at school holding hands. Nothing serious.
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 4:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have told my son no GF until he is 16, has a job, a car and can treat a girl they way they deserve to be treated. He goes out in groups, went to homecoming in a big group, has female friends, etc.... but as far as a GF- not allowed! He was captain of the Freshman football team, has a 3.8 GPA, lots of friends- his life is too big and too busy to get caught up in the GF thing. We also talked about the responsibility of someone elses feelings. Kids can and do hurt themselves over failed relationships- there is nothing harmless about it. He knows he is too self centered and immature at 15 to be responsible for someone elses feelings.
    Most of his friends that are jocks and have good grades have similar rules so its not like he is the odd one out.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You are in a tough spot mom. I have two boys now in college. We decided 8th grade was okay for a supervised "girlfriend". With the exception of school they were only with the "girlfriend" under our supervision. Much better to coach them through this stage of development than to wait until they are old enough to argue they don't need supervision, or have the means not to let you know. I always think it is important to take parenting cues from our kids - now he is talking to you about it, later he may not. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

• if he wants a girl friend let him have one just no dateing or leting girls come over till about 16. i have a 8 year old and a 12 year old my 8 year old is comeing home almost every day tell me he has a girl friend. i think its cute. it ant like its going to be for reall not till hes older just say ok but make up some rules like cant be on the phone all the time things like that
    Anonymous