what can i do to help my son from getting kicked out of daycare

my 2yr old son got kicked out of day care twice my son is very lovable but when he hugs it always turns into a fight and he is starting to bite what should i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Biting in toddlers is a normal developmental process in 2 year olds. Some toddlers are more oral (biting) to handle frustrations. As a former preschool teacher I when a toddler bites it indicates the child is frustrated with something in the child's environment. I would be giving the daycare a inspection as to why your child is biting and go from there, your child should NEVER have the opportunity to bite another child...Yes you have a biter and the teacher knows this and it IS the teachers responsibility to keep your child from actually putting his mouth on another child.

The teacher needs to be ready and able to catch him from biting, biters happen in all daycares everywhere, it really depends on if you have a teacher who is lazy or not or one who is really watching the children.

You may want to find a NEW daycare and if you do find out what the biting policy is.

Good luck!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Deal with his behavior. Kids are always looking for boundries and when you done' give them any the push even harder looking for them. So be a parent and give him some consequences for his bad behavior, time outs, losing toys etc...
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Get down on the floor with him and model appropriate play behavior, sharing, etc. Socialize him more outside of the daycare. Offer no excuses to the daycare and be proactive with them- ask questions, accept blame and be genuinely concerned for the welfare of the other children
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• As mepperly07 said you need to give him consquences for his bad behavior. Even if they are doing it in daycare you as the parent needs to let him know that that bad behavior is not exceptable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'm sure I'll receive a lot of heck for this answer, but it truly works: the next time your LO bites you, bite him back, not hard enough to really hurt him, but hard enough that he understands what he's doing to others when he bites them. I have done this with all my 4 kids, and none of them ever became biters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• anon I did that with hair pulling. And yeah maybe not the best approach but it worked. Maybe your son isn't ready for a daycare just yet. Was it a dyacare center or a home daycare? Maybe a smaller more intimate daycare situation is what you need.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2010