Two single mothers, two toddlers, 3 bedrooms??

My best friend is a single mother, and I am leaving a relationship with my son's father, so I will be a single mother as well. In the state I live, the best we usually come across is three-bedroom apartments. Even those are extremely pricy. My best friend has a daughter that is one month older than my son. Both children are under the age of two. How would you work out the sleeping arrangements? Should the kids have their own rooms and my friend and I room in one? Or should we put the kids in a same bedroom, knowing that my best friend's daughter usually co-sleeps. (Just keep her stuff in the same room as my son's, and have her sleep there when necessary.) I know that if they share a room, they would have to have their own room by a certain age, and this arrangement is likely temporary (1-2 years or so.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the children are young, I would definitely have them share a room.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• What I would probably do is have each mom share a room with their child, and then use the 3rd bedroom as a playroom. I have never coslept so that's assuming that there is room in the bedrooms for two beds. Still, that's a fairly temporary solution - maybe you can find a rental house that has 4 bedrooms (and would also include a yard for the kids to play in?)

Answer by missanc at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I would have each mother get their own room. The kids can share. There is nothing wrong with that. You have years before it would matter. I'd say 6 or 7 before it matters.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'd suggest one room for each mom, and the kids can share. If your friend is co-sleeping that will mean your son usually has a room to himself at night, but both children will have clothes and toys in their shared room. This would be a pretty good set up until the friend decides to give of co-sleeping, but hopefully by then you will have time to decide on other arrangements.

The other logical option would be for each mom to share a room with her child and use the third room a s a playroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I changed my mind. I think the kids should each share with their mom because that way you can both use whatever night time routine you want with your child without disturbing the other mother and child's routine. You could keep most of the kids toys and stuff in the 3rd room and let it be a playroom for them to share.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Given the children's ages I would have them share a room and you each get your own rooms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Have them share a room. At that age its not a big deal. You moms need your privacy alot more than they do.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 12:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The option of each mom sharing a room w/ their toddler and using the 3rd room as a playroom sounds good too. I didn't think about that until I read the responses, LOL.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 12:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I like the idea of each mom sharing a room with their child and then having a play room. They would have more room to play since the beds wouldn't be in there. You could keep their clothes in there though and just have the beds in your room. Then sleeping patterns wouldn't be a concern or if one child gets sick and is crying a lot at night.
    Anonymous