How Did You or DH Land a Job?

My husband is unemployed and we a broke. He has 3 years of college, certification in forklift/cherry picking (1 yr experiences) 7 months of Communications Engineering and Networking, and side jobs in PC repair, Networking, etc. He had a disagreement with his boss (they expected way more than what he got in return and sort of agreed to part ways) He considered the military, but we are unsure. We are also considering relocating now, even though we are happy here, he can't find anyone to give him a chance. Can you give any tips or experiences that might help with him finding a job in this market? Or even somewhere good for him to try?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• After my hubby got laid off. For 4 months he tried to find a job. He decide to go a place where they find you temp work. Well he worked a few different places. The last place he worked for a year and then hired him. He has now been there for 5 yrs and really likes it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I had to send out over 300 resumes in a tough market before landing a job. I applied to every job that had even the slightest relevance to my experience. I was looking for a computer analyst job and landed one after applying for a grocery store manager position. They saw my resume and interviewed me for an open analyst job. My husband commuted out of state for a few years while applying locally. We kept at it for a very long time, every single day.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My husband also got his perm anent job through a temp agency. He was there almost a year before they hired him on full time. He's been there several years now and lots of companies are using them now so they can "try out" the people before they hire them.

Answer by missanc at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well, I wish I knew. I have a BA in Public Relations and have been looking for a job for over a year. But, my DH has 2 full time jobs to make up until I can find one. The first one he got was through networking. The guy that got him the job as a mechanic is my best friends fiance. His 2nd job as a security job, he walked in applied and they hired them. I tried to get a job there too, but they won't hire females. GL!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• missanc that is what my husand job does too. My hubby did temp work throw and agency for a year and then hired on. He has worked there for serval years too. He really likes it and was glad that he did that otherwise he would have never applied for that type of job. It is something he thought he would never enjoy at all and found he really does.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• There are more great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2010