Is it ok to let my 14 month old cry it out?

We just moved into a new house. She doesn't want to sleep in her crib and I know she needs time to adjust. I just don't want her to get into the habbit of sleeping with us. Should I let her cry it out at night?any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your child is definitely old enough to learn to self sooth through CIO.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 11:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes she will be fine
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• OP - She is absolutely old enough. I understand it can be scary - but if she knows you are right there, there is nothing to do but love and comfort her. I have written a ~~~>>>JOURNAL<<<~~~ with some instructions on how to do what you are wanting to do.

RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Wait until she is really tired before bed - if you need to take her to the playground to wear her out, it's easier to do CIO when they are tired. You can let her cry, but go in at gradually lengthening intervals to calm her down so she doesn't get too upset. After a few nights, it will be routine and the crying should lessen.

Answer by missanc at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I agree that letting her fuss a little at this age is fine -- but since she's adjusting to a new environment, it's normal for her to need a little help getting comfortable. In your place I wouldn't bring her to your bed, either. I'd just try to stay with her so she feels safe and comforted going to sleep. You could start by having a chair in her room, then each day move it closer and closer to an open door... you can sing softly or just sit there, whatever helps her. Then eventually, your chair is outside the door; then the door can be shut. We moved when our first daughter was this exact same age -- luckily for us, after about 2 days of waking up in the night screaming like crazy, she just got comfortable. But the method I just described worked really well for a friend of ours in a similar situation.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i have a 14 months old. .
    i will let him cry it out for 15 mintus after that i go in and try and clam him down.
    im not one to let my kids cry it out. but thats just me.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well, I've never done CIO. If my daughter cries for more than 5 minutes, I know that she is not tired enough or ready for bed. I agree with the PP, who said to tire her out first for the first few days until she is accustomed to her new space. Good luck.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2010