Why is it so much harder now than before???

My son has been crying it out since 8 months old. Due to the severity of his long lasted colic, that was the only method that worked for him and I was encouraged by his Ped. to do that, well, since then unless he was sick he had slept through the night.. well, 2 months ago he got very sick and since then, he wakes up 1-2 times a night.. and for the life of me, I cannot let him cry or put himself back to sleep... he is 2 years old now (27 months ) some nights I know he's having bad dreams ( about his shoes lol!! ) I want him to get sleep full through the night again, but don't know how to get him to stop waking up,.. most nights he wakes up calling my name, I go in there and tell him its still beditme, he asks me to lay with him, I tell him mommy can't and he'll go back to bed, but if I don't go in there, he works himself up so much he'll start sweating and won't fall back asleep...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Now, you said once you go in there and he's asks you to lay down, and you say you can't, he will just lay back down... he'll go back to sleep? I think that's great. He just needs the reassurance that you are still around and that if he needs you, you will come when he calls. My boys did this... my youngest(8) still does sometime, with "mooooom, i need water". They just wanna know mommy, their protector, is there. As long as he's not throwing a fit and he's settling back down after you tell him you can't stay, he's actually doing good. It will stop, just keep doing what you're doing... instead of going in the room, maybe just poke your head in and say, "It's okay. Mommy's here. Go back to sleep now. Nite nite." And then leave. See how that works. Good luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I watch pajaminals with my daughter (it's on demand here in FL - Comcast). It has cute ideas about helping kids sleep. One of the songs is about bad dreams and how you should comfort your child for a few minutes, give hugs and all. Then put back to bed. The song go something along hte lines: "That's a scary dream, But it's just a dream, A story in your head. So goodbye fear, you're safe right here, In your house, in your room, in your bed. Have a sweet dream now, instead" It encourages you to tell the child that the dream won't hurt them and that they are safe in bed and to go back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• As was already said, you're lucky he will go back to bed without you being in there. My 2 y.o. is going through this, too, but won't go back to sleep unless I'm in the room (but then she's out like a light); it's the new fears they get at this age. And it's harder now than before because he has real, tangible fears and is able to express them... I think you do need to keep going in there and reassuring him. If he's not taking your presence as a sign that it's time to get up for good, there's no harm to him (not easy on you, of course). Just be boring when you go in there -- give him a little comfort, but be all-business so it's not something he looks forward to. I'm passing along advice I've been given -- I haven't seen the outgrowing it part yet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• We never did CIO..

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010