I had a job interview today (finally!) and I was advised (wisely) by a fellow CMer to send a thank you note. Should I hand write it on a card, or email it?

PS I went with heels and a blazer if you saw my last question about this (re: should I wear heels or flats).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the company culture. If they are cutting edge they will appriciate the e-mail. If the are traditonal they will appriciate the hand written note. and good luck.

Anonymous

• How did you send in your application/resume'. I'd say to send the thank-you the same way. Some companies are really into technology, while others aren't, so I'd just go with the way they do their application process.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It should be a thank you letter typed in a professional manner. You're not sending a thank you card for a baby shower gift.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 12:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I agree with both or the previous answers!
    TLC4theworld

Answer by TLC4theworld at 12:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Once upon a time, hand written thankyous were considered best. Now, in the electronic world, emailed thankyous are perfectly acceptable.
    Your thank you should make three points:

Letting the person know that you understand the company, culture and postion

Reinforcing what about you combination of skills and experience make you the perfect person for the position

Add a third, thoughful comment that shows that you continued to think about the postion after you left; that brilliant remark that you thought of after you walked out the door.

Good luck!

Feel free to send me a message offlist if you have any questions (or would like a second set of eyes to read your note)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• That's great. I say hand write the note and mail it. But do it today and only mail it directly to the person that you interviewed with.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Oh and be brief and have it be a plain card or a simple card. Just write 'Thank you for the opportunity, I look forward to speaking with you.' Sincerely, so-and-so. That's it, don't go overboard or anything. Typing it, to me, would be very weird and a little cold.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Oh, and I should add that one time I had an interview and realized after I left that the person did not have my resume. So, I e-mailed the woman with my resume and said "Thank you for meeting me, I realize that you do not have my resume/references (whatever is applicable that they might need to make an informed decision about you, say they don't have references). I have attached it and look forward to speaking with you.' This impressed the woman so much that she called me right when she received it saying how impressed she was! And it gives you an excuse to contact them. If this applies to your situation you might consider doing that instead of a handwritten letter. The trick is to keep you in their thoughts as a candidate.
    Anonymous