throwing fits over naptime!

my baby is 20 months and is still on a schedule that includes 2 naps a day. one around 11 and one around 5 and he goes to bed about 830 for the night. but now he just hates it! the only way he will go to sleep is if i hold and rock him the entire time and lay with him. at night he wont sleep well if his sis isnt in the bed with him so now when its naptime he doesnt want to sleep without someone to cuddle with in bed. i am a firm believer in letting him cry it out so i rock him for about 15 minutes until he is about to drift off, then when i put him down.....lets just say he has been crying for about an hour now with me going in every few minutes to lay him down again.....do i continue to let him cry or what bc i am not going to hold him for his naps everyday!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd switch to one nap.

go for one nap in the mid day or even....ditch them altogether.

some kids just do not like to nap - if he's tired, he may lay down.

we do a quiet time in the afternoon
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Maybe he's fighting his naps because he has more energy and doesn't need 2 naps/day anymore. My son is 14 months and dropped his morning nap last month - he would still sleep then but would have enough energy to "fight" his afternoon nap which is extremely unusual for him. So, he still gets a little sleepy around 10 or so, we snuggle, read a couple books, and then he has a snack. That gives him enough energy to keep going until around 12:30 or so when he goes down for his one nap/day - usually at least 2 hours, and then he goes to bed at 7. It cut out the nap fighting pretty much immediately.

Answer by missanc at 12:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• At around 19 months, my son stopped needing 2 naps a day and some days doesn't have either nap! I wouldn't force him down for naps, which will help him sleep at night (hopefully) because he will be more tired.

I have never believed naps should be forced, anyway....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• What is the point?
    He has reached the age when he notices the loneliness, when it causes him anxiety, etc. Many adults experience a sense of loss when their accustomed roommate is away - spouse, dog, etc. and they freely talk about how they couldn't go to sleep. How much MORe difficult is it for a toddler to have "self-discipline" and quietly lie there with feelings of yearning toward his family.

Our 2 boys shared a double bed until they were in 1st grade or so (our house was cold at night, so this kept them warmer), and then they shared a room until Jr. High. Their younger sister was born 8 years later, so she was an "only child". She was welcome to come into our bed whenever. No rules or rejection or drama. It dropped off to nothing by the time she was 7.

She is a phenomenally SECURE person, a mentor to her friends through the years: "I sometimes wish I DID have emotional problems ! I'm always the stable one"
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• well if he didnt need the naps then he wouldnt be wiping his eyes and yawning would he?? he still needs his naps he just doesnt like it
    Anonymous