What does Grace and Mercy mean to you?

Christians responses please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God is merciful toward me, in that when/if i ask for it, He offers grace/forgiveness for my ill actions. He shows mercy freely, and it is my responsibility to accept that gift of grace.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It means (from my religious perspective) UNCONDITIONAL love and forgiveness; free from an eternity of hell because of the condition of our inevitible sin.

From a layman's perspective, I think it's the GIFT of second, third, fourth chances without condemnation, judgment, grudges.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I know what you're asking, but to me, they just seem like silly names for girls. That is my honest opinion, not trying to be mean.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• nightphoenix you are being mean and hateful and disrespectful to what when believe in. This is the core of our worship and reason for living. Spewing this contagious disease does not help you represent your religion.
    Anonymous

• I heard a quote once to the effect that Grace is when you give forgiveness when it is deserved, Mercy is when you give forgiveness even when it is not deserved. I think that sums it up beautifully.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Grace is merit undeserved, a free gift that cannot be earned except through faith.. faith is just believing.
    Mercy is being deeply compassionate to those who do not deserve what they have such as disease and hardship.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Nice answer, Shaneagle !!

An additional aspect of this is, I think, the increasingly unfamiliar principle of creativity in destiny ... You aren't showing MERCY when the culprit has EARNED it, that would be simple Justice (also a good quality !...

Mercy is an act of giving help or forgiveness, offered freely. ... Also, we experience Mercy from God, even when we don't think we "deserve" it.

Grace, too, is a freely-given uplift which is NOT based on having deserved it - merited it, as Shaneagle put it. That "leap of faith" which is not from tangible proof offers strength and conviction.

These qualities are part of what Christ brought into the world. No longer was morality based on the spiritual laws of balance - "eye for an eye"-style. Christ brought the power to morph a bad situation into a good one, with the injection of Redemption into the situation. He confers on us this creative power to introduce a NEW element.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Grace is the what God gives us, so that we may shine with Jesus' glory before the father as sinless. Mercy is what he did at calvary. But in order to receive either of these you must show your work. Faith without works is dead so i guess in a way we have to earn grace and mercy.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010