Bringing on natural labor?

Hello ladies, I'm not looking to be bashed in anyway I'm looking for advice, so please be nice. I'm 37 weeks pregnant, getting ready for my first VBAC my DR thinks its best, and as do I, as my last C-Section was horrible. I didn't want it, but had to have it. I also had a different DR. The hospital has changed a few rules about VBACS now, and I HAVE to go into labor on my own in order to have it, they will not induce any longer, and the baby has to have internal monitoring. He says its probably best to start trying to naturally bring labor on. Any one done this? If so what did you try, and did it work? He said the baby would come when shes ready regardless of what I try or not, is this true? I trust my DR with our lives, and hes great, I'm just looking to see what other moms think. Also what about the internal monitoring?

MizMzBowz

Asked by MizMzBowz at 12:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If so what did you try, and did it work? He said the baby would come when shes ready regardless of what I try or not, is this true?

I have not personally tried it but walking a lot, eating spicy foods, and you might want to check the safety of prime rose oil. those are all things that "naturally" bring on labor IF the baby is ready. and yes it's true. if the baby is not ready then it won't work.

I don't know much about internal monitoring.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Baby will come when baby is ready. you can do everything under the moon and it will not work. You just have to wait it out till baby says it is ready.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, there is nothing you can do to bring on NATURAL labor....because for it to be naturally brought about it has to start on its own. Im not saying that to be a smart elic but inductions arent just done with drugs, ANYTHING you do (like castor oil ect) is still considered induction and essentially forcing baby out before he or she is ready to come out.
    Its believed that when a babys lungs are done developing that a hormone is secreted that triggers labor...thus, baby coming when baby is ready.
    You could try staying active and walking, and you could take evening primrose oil (gel caps inserted into vagina to dissolve) to help soften your cervix....now, this is not intended to bring on labor but rather to help soften the cervix so that when labor does start it may make it easier to dialate.

The BEST thing you could do is to not stress about it, stay calm...try yoga and meditation (look into hypnobirthing!)
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If you have sex the semen can help your cervix start to thin out, and if you orgasm it could help to jump start contractions. If I were you I would wait to really try until you are closer to 40 weeks, only because the closer you are the easier it might be to nudge things into motion. Also, walking, spicy foods, etc as others have said. This might sound a little new age, but if it were me I would also try to do a little meditation and visualization. I am usually not that into these things but with child birth it is hard to ignore the miraculous connection between mother and baby and the wonder that is the female body. Take a little time to quiet yourself, do some deep breathing, and imagine your cervix thinning, baby lowering into the birth canal, your uterus contracting to help push baby down, etc, and speak softly to baby that it is time to get ready and come out to meet mommy soon. It might help, couldn't hurt. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Why are you asking about internal monotoring? Is your doctor saying that its required? Im honestly wary of any continual monotoring personally, I see it as a way for a doctor to find something wrong when there really isnt necessarily and a good excuse for some to do c sections. Heart decels are actually normal in birth especially during contractions as the baby is being squeezed, and dont get me started on "failure to progress" birth can not be put on a time line like a lot of doctors want to do, there isnt a magic number of hours that a birth should take, its a process, sometimes its a few short hours and sometimes women can be in labor for days, either way, as long as mom and baby are doing OK its FINE to let labor run its natural coarse without freaking out just because its been a certain number of hours.
    Why not ask if they can do intermitten monotoring? Where they occasionally listen with a dopler for heart tones?
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• and OP, I know you say your trust your doctor and thats important, but whats even MORE important is for YOU to do your own homework on the subject and not just rely on what your doctors is telling you is best. Some doctors are set in there ways and even with new research they choose to do things a certain way, and some doctors are restricted on what they can allow laboring mothers to do based on the hospitals policys...just be sure to educate your self on natural childbirth, there is LOTS of info out there on the subject....honestly, doctors are NOT the best resource for information on natural birth, many of them have never witnessed a truly natural birth, natural birth is more than just being born vaginally.
    Good luck to you, I hope you get the birth experience that you and especially your baby deserve!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• it's really good that they won't induce you, because that can be very dangerous. i would look into ican's website because i'm not so sure about all of the monitoring. it's good that he says that the baby will come when she's ready, no matter what. i think that's true, and kind of points out that there really is nothing you can do. i hope that also means that he's not limiting you to 41 weeks, or anything like that. gl! definitely google ican international and browse their site :)
    Anonymous

• Induction is dangerous for anyone,I believe. EVen though it is tough waiting for labor to begin, you really should wait ....and GOOD Luck with the new baby!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• no the internal monitoring is required by the hospital. and if I can't go into labor on my own by the 9th I'm being put in the hospital for a c-section.
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 2:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• well....you dont HAVE to have a c section...you could just wait until you go into labor on your own and then go into the hospital in active labor...they cant refuse to care for you or attend your birth, they cant force you to do anything that you dont want to do.

Good luck
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 4:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010