Why is my daughter terrified of candles?!

She just turned 2 in december. Ever since maybe a month ago, she has been terrified of candles. If I light one in the livingroom she screams and then goes to hide under the dinningroom table until I tell her I put it out. This make no sense! She used to LOVE candles. What is wrong with her?!

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Weird...you'd think if she had burned herself you'd have certainly known about it...uhh maybe some sort of past life clarity coming thru?
    Anonymous

• she has never burned herself. the candles are way too high up for her to even get near.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well, it could be some kind of past life memory coming through. Many present day fears that we all have that don't seem to make sense come from past lives. In my case for example, I am TERRIFIED of water and can not put my face under water. As I have investigated my past lives more and more memories are being brought to life I now know why... I drowned in a past life, so, it's understandable that I am afraid of water. As children many past life memories will return to us in dreams. It's only after a life of hearing that they are "just dreams" do we ignore them and forget. She may be at a point where she is having feelings and memories from lives she doesn't remember. Fire is a common enough fear though, it could simply be that she has learned that fire is hot and can cause burns. I would say talk to her about it. Explain that as long as she not touch it, she can't be hurt and see what she says.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Maybe she saw a movie or cartoon or something to make her afraid? Perhaps this is simply the age where they are more aware of potential dangers? It is strange to take on this as a fear all of a sudden. There's a cause...I'm just not sure what it is.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010