Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of qualifications would I need to do the little stuff working at a hospital?

Like get the patient prepared for the doctor or maybe just wheeling them out to their ride to go home after surgery nothing too medical just everyday simple stuff?

Or would I still need some kind of degree to even do that?

Thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • You can work in Patient Transportation without a degree I believe. Get patients ready to see the Doc is usually done by an RN, LPN or a certified Medical assistant. Best to call the hospital you are thinking of working in, and talk to someone in Human resources. They can tell you what is available and what the qualifications are for each position!! ;o)


    Answer by Morgain at 1:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

  • The second can be done by a volunteer and most hospitals now require an application and background check, it can be done by support staff nursing aides and nurses too.

    The first is more often done by a nurse in all of the hospitals and doctors offices I've ever been in with my three kids and husband.
    You need a two year to four year degree to be a nurse and application and background check.

    Enjoy, Good Luck!!!!

    Answer by lfl at 1:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

  • You look at the job boards for area hospitals, read the job descriptions and the qualifications. If you believe that you are a match for a postion, then you apply for the position.

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

  • Depending on which state you live in, they all have different rules. I believe in a hospaital you can be a PTA or patient care representative and this does not require any type of training or degree. If you want to do any patient care, such as helping a patient get dressed,ambulation,bathing,etc that is an STNA or state tested nursing assistant and that does require training and passing a state test. It is a short course, I believe the American Red Cross offers a course that is 8 weeks longs or you can go to a nursing home that is willing to train and those classes are usually about 2 weeks long but you have to sign an agreement to stay with that company for like a year or something.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

  • PTA is the legal designation for a Physical Therapy Assistant - that's at least an associates degree You could also be a Rehab Aide or a Rehab assistant with only a HS diploma/GED.... although experience in a exercise related field is a plus!!


    Answer by Morgain at 10:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
How Did You or DH Land a Job?

Next question overall (Health)
Can you throw up snot?