saw an interesting view on welfare that made me think....

so the person was saying how she hated how selfish ppl can get in regards to others being on welfare...her response to the infamous "its my taxmoney not yours" quote that gets thrown out everytime there is a welfare question was how can u say that when others ppls tax money(even those without kids) pays for your kids to go to public school, which is completely true. i am a sahm mom bc i have to be, my hubby doesnt make a whole heap of money, he makes enough to pay most bills, but we are short on other things. do i feel guilty about having food stamps so that we can eat? NO...my hubbys job doesnt offer any healthcare...do i feel bad about being on medicaid so my kids can go to the dr??? HELL NO....and for those who scream "get a job"....I HAVE ONE...but i dont get paid but a hill of beans and dont get offered health care either. i am also on hiatus from school. i would love to not be on assistance but cant afford not to

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Once the tax money is taken from your check to the gov't hands, you dont have control over it. I pay taxes too. Every time I buy something. Dont see me complaining about parks I dont go to or community centers I never use being funded by sales tax! People dont understand that such a small small percentage of their taxes goes to welfare programs. Those few dollars that go towards that are hardly taking something away from their own families. If the money didnt go to welfare programs, then it would go to something else. Eliminating welfare programs isnt going to make those ppl have more money in their pocket.
    Anonymous

• I agree that welfare fraud is terrible. BUT using regular financial assistance is NOT "wrong" when you have children. Only in America is a mother expected to put her children's well-being below the demands of her job. People in many other countries EXPECT parents to stay home with their children for a few years at least. If a mom were to say to her co-workers - even her boss - that her child was at home sick, they would seriously question her character to see her there at work instead of home with her child.

Is this attitude the result of sloppy sentimentality? NO. Intelligent societies recognize the high price they pay when a child grows up without stable, affectionate, devoted parenting - a grown child who is unwise or who has various addictions to medicate his lack of inner peace and security ... more crime, more mental health expenses, etc.

Help mothers to do what mothers do best, and EVERYONE wins !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'm not sure what your question is, but I have several.

First, what if there were no FS or med asst.? For a long time there wasn't, and at the moment our gov't. is in serious debt. What if you were told tomorrow that they were ending welfare?

Second, why do you 'have' to be a SAHM? If you do, why don't you look into the SAHM working mom websites? There are legitimate work at home jobs. There is home daycare, or you could work a different shift than hubby.

Do you cook from scratch? Do you plant a garden (FS pays for seeds)?

As for public school being paid by taxpayer money ~ that's true. The premise is that YOUR schooling was paid by the previous generation, so you pay it forward by paying for THIS generation.

It's all well and good to say you're short on some things, but cutting back is an option ~ and may well end up being a necessity. Not judging, hopefully giving you some food for thought.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My schooling was paid for by my grandparents. I went to Catholic school.
    Anonymous

• to anon 1:40 notice i said PUBLIC school...thanks for ur input!
    Anonymous

• Umm public school should nto and can not be compared to lazy people living off the government.
    What would you like for school to not be around and the children not get an education?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2010