not everyone one on wic formula feeds!!

why is it that alot of people think that those on wic only ff. yes alot do but some wics are very supporting about bf. i had my dd at 19. i read bf books took classes but guess what it dint come natural to me. i went to wic and what was their response just switched to formula. they dint even get me in contact with someone who can help,. i did called LLL and they were no help at all. so after 3 mts of both ff and pumping i switched to formula. with ds it was different.he was a great latcher at first and then it all went to hell. i told wic and thye said wel, why dont you ff. buti said no thanks. i told them am sticking to bf. i ended up pumping for ds for 10 mts. wic still agve me4 cams of formula a month in case i failed. so why is it thatsome of you guys hate people on wic so much and not relaised that not very wic is breastfeeding friendly!!

piwife

Asked by piwife at 1:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Maybe it depends on the WIC office you are going to. My WIC office advocates breastfeeding, but I also didn't have any issues with it, so maybe that helps. Kudos for trying your best!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I had just the opposite experience. I tried very hard to bf, but couldn't. Later found out that I have hypoplastic breasts, so I will never be able to. I told WIC that I couldn't bf and was really belittled for it. They told me that I wasn't a good mother unless I bf. After going 3 times and really fighting for it, I finally started to get formula from them.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I've managed to read enough of your poorly worded rant to understand the following talking points:

Everyone else is to blame for your failure to breastfeed but yourself.
    No one helps you, despite your winning attitude.
    You believe your one experience is a reflection on a nationwide program.
    You don't seem to grasp that people have problems with social welfare programs because of what they are, not because of their stance on ff vs. bf.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Our WIC office has posters everywhere practacally begging mothers to nurse. They offer classes, and an aide that will come to your home to help. You can also get free breast pumps through them on loan. I don't make assumptions regarding WIC and nursing.
    Oh, and IamPatSajak, I have noticed the majority of your responses are hostile and you have a smug attitude. Really not what this site if for.
    Anonymous

• They encourage breast feeding. I breatfed for 10 months. and would've done it longer except the pediatrician reccommended the switch because of him low wieght. If you have maternity services in yuor area, they can help with breatfeeding tips. If not call 211 to ask for a referral to a support group for mothers and babies.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yeah my WIC office encourages breast feeding 110% too. I don't know why someone would think WIC using mommies only FF.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 1:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't know why they would give you 4 cans a month if you hadn't used the last 4? They should have been giving you milk and other items to keep your production up. Sounds like a bad office to me.
    Anonymous

• IamPatSajak-------------------English is not her first language. Could you be anymore hateful and rude? How many languages do you speak??
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I am on WIC and I exclusively BF. It's great. I get bread, cheese, milk, tuna, peanut butter, beans, juice and fresh veggies/fruit. Because DD is EBF, she gets 30 jars of meat (that I actually DON'T purchase because it's gross!), 2 boxes of cereal and 60 jars of fruit/veggies! That's per month! My WIC gives me crap about DD's weight but as long as she's making enough wet dipes and she's meeting milestones, I know she's just fine. She's just going to be a petite little girl :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 2:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'm all for WIC, but the situation you described is not breastfeeding friendly. That's why people have a problem with WIC, but I certainly don't have a problem with the women on WIC. I think it's wrong to just say eh, ff is free with WIC, so I won't bother to bf. I don't think the majority of women do this, though. I think WIC just doesn't really support breastfeeding that well.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010