Do u ever have days where u just dont want to entertain your kids ALL DAY!

i feel like such a crappy mom sometimes lol! i have a 5 yr old and one that is almost 2. we lived in a very small town with NOTHING for them to do (n me either) also it is cold as crap so we cant go play outside. they are bored and so am i.....i get no free time, so im always craving to be ALONE!! even as i type DD is reading me a story and DS is bouncing on my knee. i would really like to just send them to their room to play after lunch but thats will only end in tears!! i just dont feel like doing anything today, i truly wish i had the heart to ignore them lmao!! what are some things they can do without me and are there other moms who dont spend a whole lot of time playing with their kids so i wont feel bad! i can barely go pee by myself unless they are behind the child gate watching a movie! DH doesnt do much in the way of giving me any time to myself either! i dont want to be mean to my kids but i wish they would play alon

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have NEVER entertained my child all day. He learned how to entertain himself. Parents do not need to entertain their kids all day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I would suggest you enroll your children in preschool, try meetup.com to find local moms in a similar situation or get a mother's helper for a few hours a week so you can have some time to yourself. You could also try getting them in some programs at the Y or joining a gym that has a daycare.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• That is the joy of having children. You are just gonna have to suck it up. Im sorry & I know how you feel, but have some empathy. Get a babysitter so you can have time for yourself. GEt some coloring books and throw on some spongebob. LOL
    Moreover, they would be thrilled to go outside & play. Dont let the cold intimidate you. Get on the snowjackets, boots gloves and scarfs. They will appreciate it. And maybe youll get a second wind or they will slow down from all the running around. Takew them on a nature walk in the backyard. SOmetimes we have to push ourselves to do the things we hate in order to get the things we love. They are only young once & the thing you do or not do will affect them for better or worse.
    Anonymous

• YES I used to

but now my youngest is in preschool 2 mornings a week and its GREAT! the other 2 are in school all day.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I agree with tyfry-----you shouldn't have to entertain all day long. They need to learn how to play by themselves. I don't entertain my daughter all day long, but I am always in the same room with her unless she is napping. She has a play area here in the living room, so she plays a lot.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• All the time. But mine play by themselves and sometimes I feel guilty for not playing with them all day.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I absolutely know what your going through!!! I have a 4 year old, an almost 3 year old, and a 7 month old and live in a small town in Montana, so it's fricken cold and there is nothing to do unless I want to spend an arm and a leg just for a couple of hectic hours chasing kids. My kids pretty much entertain themselves, but usually that involves running from one end of the house to the other or getting into things they shouldn't.... so I'm constantly having to monitor them. Even if I try to let them just go and play, one ends up coming back crying or screaming about something! I wish they could just play nice for once! lol!

Invest in playdoh. I have tons of cookie cutters and even an extra table cloth just for it so I can take it outside to dry and the just shake all of it off. Cheap and easy clean up! I also let them "do dishes." It can make a mess, but can easily be dried up!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 3:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Nope, because I refuse to sit around and entertain my kids all day. They play with their toys or watch TV or play with each other or whatever and I do my own thing. That's how I was raised. My mom didn't sit around and entertain us. We were expected to use our imaginations and play with our toys, read a book or whatever.
    My kids (who are 9, 8, 7 and almost 4) and they have their lives and I have mine. They come to me if they need attention or help with something and we occasionally play games together or watch TV together (my 8yo son shares a love of sci-fi with me so we sit around and watch Star Wars and stuff) but I have never entertained them all day even when they were babies.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010