2 year old and cold meds

I babysit a 2 and a half year i have been watching him for over a year now and his mom is always giving him cold meds that say don't give to children under 6 and give it to them every 4-6 hours well the mother ask me to give it to him every 3 hours he isn't coughing or runny noes or anything she has been bringing it for 6 weeks strait and asked me if i have been giving it to him i told her i didn't know he needed it she said that she wants him to have it so he don't catch anything and she puts it in his juice cup every night and every morning and i HAVE to start giving it to him I feel so sorry for the child he is sooo far behind other 2 and a half year olds and i was just wanting to know everyones opinion she is my cousin so it makes it harder to talk to her about this but i also think he is going through withdrawls from the meds his heart beats so fast and when you hold him he jerks all the time....whats everyones opinion??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• omfg... id call cps, either she is dumb or shes purposely trying to harm him. that cnat be good.
    Anonymous

• that is terrible. I don't even know what to say. Can you talk to her mother? How old is this stupid mother?
    Anonymous

• oh my god thats horrible!

I'd call someone immediately. thats child endangerment.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i am 25 she is 33 i think i have one kid and don't ever hardly give my child any meds unless the doc says to....she has 3 kids and the middle one when she was smaller like 4 she told us she gives her "night night" meds to make her sleep at night. the 2 year old i keep falls alot like we walk to the mail box and where the speed bumps are he will fall over them with me holding his hand...if i take him to stores i will let go of his hand in to toy isle and he will run right into someone one time there was a box in the middle of the isle he ran right into it and fell down...This has been going on for a long time and sometimes i tell the mom i gave him the meds and i just pour it out....but it is out of hand now and somehting has to give
    Anonymous

• Call CPS - - that is abuse and it is NOT ok!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Some of those meds can be VERY hard on the liver. I would tell her that you can't give him meds because if something happens, he's your responsibility and you don't want that on your shoulders. I know my day care provider can't even give my kiddos tylenol or teething tablets. Does she really think that by giving him meds she's PREVENTING him from getting sick??? That's not how medicine works. It treats symptoms, not prevents illness. She needs to take him to the doctor if she thinks he needs medication. He's way too young to give that much medicine to. She could be permantly damaging his organs.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 2:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• IF the child is ill; ie fever; runny nose; cough - then give the appropriate dosage for their weight. Otherwise there is no need for it; it isn't NOT a preventative...tell her you are not poisoning her children for her and let her leave.
    Anonymous

• You need to call CPS before one of those children need an organ transplant or die; they may already have permanent physical or mental disability from this. What she is doing is VERY dangerous; in the mean time refuse to participate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,323391,00.html

"These medicines treat symptoms; they don’t cure a cold," he said. "So if parents think they are curing something with these medicines, they’re kidding themselves. When it comes to small children, keeping them hydrated, monitoring them and consulting a pediatrician are far more important then relying on over-the-counter medicine."

Anonymous