How can I get smoke & musty mildew smell out of a couch?

My neighbors had a house fire & then the water pipes burst & ruined the apartment. They gave me a brand new couch set, its in great condition other than it was sitting in the apartment for days so it smells like smoke & musty w/a little tiny bit of speckled mildew spots on the fabric underneath. I laundered the cushions that could unzip but as for the large cushions that dont come apart & the couch itself what can I do to cleanse it properly & remove the odors? I have a 16mo old son & Im 7mos pregnant w/heart problems so a safe method is preferred, thanks so much!!

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• the best bet would be to have them professionally cleaned and the mold taken care of that way.

but peroxide works on mold - spritz it on lightly try that on a spot that isn't visible just incase it bleaches it.

baking soda works for odours as well. I liberally sprinkle it on, brush in (an old kitchen brush or something to get into the fibres) then let sit and vacuum it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• vinegar nn baking soda can get urine out of ur mattress. im sure ut can do da same 4 da couches.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Vinegar and baking soda are good- make a paste with water and baking soda and apply it to the areas that need cleaning, then spray vinegar; or you can dust the fruniture with baking soda then spray it. Be prepared to clean up the foam that will go all over. To keep it smelling good, you can dab a scented oil like peppermint or vanilla on a cotton ball, or your favorite perfume, and tuck the cotton balls under the cushions. Change them when you stop smelling them. Also good for closets, dressers, and shoes.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010