how many of you have let an ear infection run its course?

all the literature says that most will heal themselves without medication.
just curious.

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have, yes, for both myself and my kids. No repercussions at all. It's obvious if it gets worse instead of better, just keep an eye on how your kid is doing, and if it's getting worse, or something else crops up, then go to the doctor.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I will wait a few days before starting any meds depending on how bad it is but with my son they don't go away on there own. They get worse and interfere with his hearing. My middle DD had a few that did go away on there own but they were no where near as bad as my sons...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I've been trying to reign in my antibiotic use and my most recent ear infection I waited out. Within 2 days I lost hearing almost completely. Ten days later I had no choice but to get to the doctor. I had removed all wax, never punctured my drum but I couldn't hear my children cry and even slept through my 3yo puking in his bed one night. I ended up with headaches for more than a week and ringing in my head, and went I went to treat it finally it took forever to go away.

I dunno if I will wait next time.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• nope. both my kids ended up with tubes in their ears. so when they have an infection i know because of the draining. now that the tubes are in there i give it a few days before i bring them in. a couple times they've healed themselves with my son but last week i ended up taking him in cuz it wasn't going away. same with dd.
    Anonymous

• I have read that most ear infections do not clear on their own. But there are other things you can do besides antibiotics.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• thats child abuse ! and my kids ended up with tubes in there ears and the dr,s said the same thang about let it run its course and my doughter in partly deafe becouse of that ! so make sure the dr puts them on meds- for the ears inf- ! sorry if words are miss spelled ! !
    Anonymous

• outstanding love, i would like to see where you read that most ear infections do not clear up themselves. (not bashing, i truly would like to get info from as many different sources as i can)
    anon 2:42, how is following dr.'s orders abuse?
    is it possible that cleaning ears, or letting them get wet during an infection and while healing led to the partial hearing loss? just curious.
    i have also read from many sources that temp hearing loss is common and usually reverses itself.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I just did, last month...my 19 month old had his first ear infection & was given Amoxicillin. He was supposed to take it 2x per day for 10 days. From day 1 I was unable to get sufficient amounts of the medication down him to help clear the infection even with three adults holding him down & forcing him to take it; he would spit it out or throw it up no matter what I tried. So after some research, on day 5 I stopped giving him the medication since it wasn't helping anyway. I just treated the accompanying fever with a combination of Motrin & Tylenol. After an additional week or so it did clear up on its own. If he gets another ear infection I will probably refrain from using an antibiotic & just treat the symptoms, at least until he's old enough to understand the need for medicine. I think giving a quarter (my estimate) of the recommended dose probably did more harm than good, considering how resistant drugs are getting.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I personally put breast milk in the ears for a week and if it hasn't cleared up then I take them in, but my kids have never had one that is for me. For the kids I would do the same thing though. Once I am no longer nursing then garlic oil is my next choice. i used that for years and never had a problem. I get ear infections myself at least every 3 months and in the last 5 years since doing the garlic oil and now breast milk I have not had to have an antibiotic for them.
    Anonymous

• When my 14 month old had an ear infection and I took him to the dr they wrote me a prescription (so I wouldn't have to come back) but said to wait 2-3 days to fill it and see if he got better. He did and I didn't need the prescription!
    But my 12 year old got awful infections when he was little - he had an ear infection nonstop for about 5 months one time where we went through a series of medications that, obviously, the infection was resistant to. He ended up having to have a shot of rocephin, which the dr said if that hadn't worked the next medication to try is only given in hospitals.

Answer by missanc at 3:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010