I'm worried about moving while the kids are in shcool.

we want to move to another city and the kids are in the middle of the school year i'm worried it might affect their learning my son is just 5 and in kindergarten does any one have any suggestions or anything

sweetmissa47

Asked by sweetmissa47 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Moving during the school year is not ideal, but it's not that bad either. Kids are very adaptable. It may take a little time, but he will adjust. Moving from one kindergarten to another shouldn't be too bad; I think it's a lot worse when the kids are older and in more specific courses because they can miss something major if they move to a new school that is ahead of where they were at their old school. If moving is good for your family's future, I'd go ahead with it when jobs require or allow it. GL!
    Anonymous

• I suggest checking out which school your child will be going to and what that class he's likely to get into. Find out what their schedule is. They might be working on something now that your child's current class is saving till the end of the year. Or he might end up repeating information he's already done because the schedule is flipped.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• They'll adjust. Stop fretting.
    Anonymous

• My mom moved around ALOT when I was a kid, I always done bad in school, bc like PP said they do things at different points in the year so I was always either behind or bored because I already learned it. It is going to be hard on the kids whether you move now or wait to the beginning of the year, being the new kid is so hard. But if you do decide to move I think it would be better to wait until the new year starts, maybe get them into some summer activites with kids from the school they will be going to that way they will already know a few people when they start.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My dh is in one state and ds and I have stayed back in another state just so we wouldnt have to move our 10 yr old ds during the school year. Once the school year ends, then we will schedule the movers to come and we will move up there.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2010