Any ideas on how to potty train a boy who knows how, but is just being stubborn?

He is going to be 4 in June and he will tell me that he should go pee and poo in the potty, but yet doesn't. We have tried stickers, candy, etc. I am frustrated. I want him to go to preschool next year, but seems like it will never happen.

musictchr

Asked by musictchr at 2:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• set a timer for ever hour, and every half hour till does go. when it goes off it's POTTY TIME! make sure you have things to keep him occupied, like books, toys, sing songs with him, ect. after he drinks something make sure he goes about 15-20 minutes after he drinks it. i did this with my 2yr old and within 4 days we had few to no accidents. in 2 weeks he was trained. daytime trained anyway. you just have to put your foot down and be consistant. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• oh yeah, is he in a pullup? pullups feel just like diapers, if he's in one then it will feel normal for him to go in it, so of course he will. get him in some big boy underwear (gerber has the thick ones that hold alot of pee). it's a different feel, it should help him remember to go in the potty. did with my son anyway, just remember, every kid is different
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Had the same problem with our son. What finally worked was having him pick up his dirty diaper/pullup and then instead of cleaning him with wipes , we would stand him in the tub and rinse him off with the shower nozzle(not using cold water, off course). He HATED that, cured him quick!! Then , of course , we had to bleach the tub...
    finnie

Answer by finnie at 2:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Peer pressure. Do you have a little nephew or neighbor who can have a talk with him. I know it may seem odd? Maybe not talk about pooping but talk about why they dont wear diapers anymore and how cool it is to have underwear or something.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• my son is 6 now, He was the same way, he knew how to use the bathroom, just chose not to. I couldn't get him to go consistantly to save my life, when he started Pre-K, i gave the teachers extra clothes ect. we even had to go back inside our house before we left as we were getting in the car he peed his pants. on the first day. But he never had another accident again, he went to Pre-K saw all the other kids did it. And that's when he was potty-trained.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• When my son was 3 yr and 5 m. he had used the potty but did not want it to be his rutine. I tried 2 or 3 potties, 2 or 3 places ( restroom, family room and his room), reading him something while he tried, giving him something to play with....nothing make him to make the connection. He was able to pee and poo but I had to take it to it.I started to get worried. Cafe Mommies told me ..."he will do it on his own pace" and it was true. I kept him naked most of the day on weekends...he did it but I had to take him to the potty. One day I passed by the toddlers underware and he got excited with the Spiderman and Diego designs. I told him I'd buy them only if he started to go to the potty by himself. He promised and we started on the long weekend of Feb. '09 at his 3 yrs and 5 months. Is your child going to daycare? Mine was and he could see the other children going to potty and the teacher played greatly in the success. Good luck!
    CACHARRA

Answer by CACHARRA at 5:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• get a toilet seat cover thing to go over the toilet seat they have diff themes my son has a cars theme one and he used it because we scared to fall in.. now he likes useing the toilet with out it.
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2010