What do I need to do for my 8 yr old

Tanner is an ADHD and acts out......

What diet and pills can we give him?
How to talk and discipline with him?

gfof3

Asked by gfof3 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Has a dr actually diagnosed him ADHD? If it's a legit case diagnosed by a dr, then get the dr's recommendation. If he's just being an 8 yr old boy, then he doesn't need pills. I'm not saying that ADHD doesn't exist, but way too many people want to blame behaviour they don't want to deal with on a medical problem and hope pills are an easy fix. Just cut out his caffeine & sugar and make sure he's getting enough sleep.
    Anonymous

• TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR - and look into a psycologist
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well I'm convinced that if I took my 10 year old to a Dr. they'd diagnose him with ADHD in a heartbeat. However, I don't believe in that junk, I think it's all a big excuse. I blame myself if he acts out, or is extremely hyper. I use diet and discipline with my 10 year old, and it's worked great. NO RED DYE #40! It's bad stuff for kids with ADD or ADHD. And watch out, because it's in A LOT of thing, even hot dogs. Eliminate red dye, and that will help so much. Also, sugars are a huge thing. Limit, even get rid of sugar if you can. They make a lot of sugar free things now a days, and it works. Then finally discipline. In our family, we spank, and it works. This is all JMO, take it or leave it, but I know that eliminating red dye and sugar is a major thing to help out. Good luck Momma!!
    Anonymous