Should my boys share a bedroom?

I have 3 kids: daughter 16 years, son 14 years, son 19 months. I'm looking for a three bedroom rental but my mom mentioned that she didn't think it was a good idea for the boys to share a room. What do you think?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 3:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think it would be fine for them to share a room. but i think you should get a 3 bedroom and keep the 19 month old in the room with you. that way your 2 teenager can do teenage things and have some privacy.
    Anonymous

• I think that's too far apart in age. If it were me and I had to live in a 3bdr, I would put the 3 kids in the rooms and sleep on the couch myself. Or just look for a 4bdr rental house.

Answer by missanc at 3:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think if you have to and thats all you can afford its ok, but with that big of an age difference its better to not have them share if you dont have too. The 14 yr old is goning to need and want privacy, and you may not want a toddler in a room with a teenager with teenage behavrior and convos ect
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If I could only afford 3 bedrooms i'd probably keep the 19 month old in my room or use the dining area or something as his room. I wouldn't make a teenager share with a toddler unless it was absolutely necessary. I have a 13 yo DD and a 2yo DD, and I wouldn't have them share because I'd be afraid the 13 yo would leave small things lying around that the baby might choke on. i also think the older one needs a little privacy. Of course you do what you have to do. A long time ago they probably all would have been sharing one tiny room.
    Anonymous

• If they were within 1-3 years apart I could justify them sharing a room but 14 and 19 months is too far apart. You will wake up the younger one when the older one is getting ready for school. 14 year old boys need privacy
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think that if the boys were closer in age, then it would be fine if they shared a room. But...considering the age difference, you might want to let your oldest have his own room. You could keep the 19 month old with you until he gets a bit older, then put him in with your other son. That's a tough position, that's for sure, but I'm sure you'll make something work out.
    Anonymous

• if i was a teenage boy i definately would not want to share my room with a baby..... i would think of something else
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I guess I'll be looking for a 4 bedroom because I don't want to share anymore either lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 3:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The age difference is so big between the two boys it would be better if they didn't have to share.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think I agree with the idea of setting up your own little spot in the living room and letting the kids have the rooms, that's a pretty big age difference....
    There are things that can be done to make this comfortable as well, you can get a hide a bed couch, or a futon/couch....that way you can have the normal looking furniture in the day, and a normal bed at night for yourself.
    Maybe share closet space, with one of the kids or convert a hall closet into your own......just ideas.....
    If you think you may have trouble getting your hands on a hide a bed couch or futon/couch.....PM me :)
    I just think your oldest is gonna need his space.....I think you sharing a room with your youngest is a good option as well :)
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 5:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2010