My five month old wants to be held all the time.

Ok I know new borns want to be held. But ds wants to be held by me. I can't get any house work done. When DH gets home he trys to hold him. DS cries until I take him. How can I get him use to laying down or daddy holding him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried wearing him in a sling, wrap or back pack carrier?
    We got an Ergo when my dd was about 5 or 6 months old, and it was such a lifesaver!
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Well this might be a tough pill to swallow, but....You need to just put him down, and let him cry. You cannot allow him to run your life, and if he cries and you're right there to pick him up and hold him, then you're not doing him any good. However, if you absolutely feel like holding him is the best thing, then you could get a sling, and carry him around with you that way. Just hook it on to you, and put him in it, and get some work done. If it were me though, I'd set him in his swing, or a bouncy chair, or in a crib and just let him cry it out, and make him learn that he can't always be held. If he's been fed, burped, changed, etc.. and he's not sick or hurting, letting him cry isn't going to hurt him. Please know that I'm not trying to be mean, I just know you can't get a lot accomplished if you are always hold a baby. Just start out little by little putting him down, he'll learn, I promise!
    Anonymous

• Get a sling, or other carrier.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Normal normal normal. A sling will help. And DAD can do some of the housework. Men SHOULD be made to do things so they know how to do them if mom is hit by a bus.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• There is no need to let him cry by himself as one poster suggested. Get a sling and do housework with the baby. Really the movement and stimulation is good for him and destresses both of your. Separation anxiety is very common. It will be outgrown at some point and you will look back and miss that...you won't be reminiscing about chores KWIM?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i never figured out how to use my sling, i will try again w/ this pregnancy though! i did use a baby bjorn quite a bit. i hated letting my kids cry, so i did the housework when they napped. guess what? there will always be more housework to do, even when the kids are gone, but it is just that first 6 mos that those babies really need to be close to us. your lo will be able to sit up soon, that will help a lot...then he will crawl, and walk, and climb and run!
    congrats on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010