When do you start telling your baby "no"?

My 8 month old is a typical, normal baby that loves to get into things and explore lol. I find myself telling her no when I see her going for something that she's not supposed to touch. I feel so silly saying it, because she just gives me a gummy grin and has no idea what I'm telling her. It just comes out by force of habit. Has anyone else done this?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 3:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Little ones have no concept of what you are trying to tell them. She is exploring her world. Make your home child friendly and you won't have a problem. Teach her what she can play with and put away things you don't want her playing with. Don't start off her little life on a negative note hearing you say "no" all the time.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Along with saying "no" to her make sure you are turning her around, away from what she shouldn't touch. Also add, that will hurt you, that will break. She does not get it yet but if you are consistent in a few months she will know exactly what you are saying and you will get in the habit of also explaining yourself and not just saying no for no reason.
    Anonymous

• NO can get really old after a while and it will soon go in one ear out the other, and your LO will start saying NO lol. I try to say "UH UH" or "no touch". Only time I say NO is if he is doing something dangerous. I started saying those things to my son when he started touching everything, a little before 12 months
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Soon as they start moving...you have to start saying "no",LOL. What else would you say?
    And don't worry...she'll understand what you mean so much..one day she'll turn around and say "no" to you! LOL.
    I do understand what you mean though, in the beginning it does feel weird to say no but that will quickly pass once she starts climbing up curtains,getting into the garbage,sticking her hand in the toilet,lol.
    Don't you love it? :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Around that age. We also started doing baby timeouts: we would hold her immobilized and count backwards from 20.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Haha I've been saying "no-no" to my son since he was born. I know he doesn't understand what I'm saying and I don't say it sternly or meanly, but its just a habit I guess. He pulls my hair and I'll say "ouch! Please let go." Or when he goes to put my cell phone in his mouth or something like that I'll tell him "no-no" and direct him to something else. I doesn't help anything and he doesn't know what I'm talking about but I just say it anyways haha.
    Anonymous

• I have a 16mo grandson and have been involved in his care since he was born. We save no and stop for big things. When he hears no or stop he does it right away. Instead of the typical toddler that doesn't obey we have a toddler that wants to please.

First, childproof. Put stuff that can hurt the child or you don't want hurt where the child can't get it. Second, put stuff the child can get into in fun spots in main rooms. Have a pan cabinet in the kitchen the child can plaly in. Third, relax and don't sweat the small stuff. Forth, teach some signs so the child can communicate.

Here is a good article about saying no

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I recently posted a question similar to this. My dd is about 8 months and I say no when she puts things in her mouth, for example. As I say no I move her hand away from her mouth and she gets it now. For other ¨ no¨ situations though, I try to redirect her attention.
    SnowRookie

Answer by SnowRookie at 11:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010