Unemployment rose in 43 states last month

WASHINGTON – Unemployment rates rose in 43 states last month, the government said Friday, painting a bleak picture of the job market and illustrating nationwide data released two weeks ago.

The rise in joblessness was a sharp change from November, when 36 states said their unemployment rates fell. Four states — South Carolina, Delaware, Florida and North Carolina — reported record-high jobless rates in December.

New Jersey's rate, meanwhile, rose to a 33-year high of 10.1 percent while New York's reached a 26-year high of 9 percent.

Analysts said the report showed the economy is recovering at too weak a pace to generate consistent job creation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_state_unemployment

Is anyone else really happy that Obama says he has decided to work on job creation? Or are you still feeling it's a little late?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Surprise Surprise! Whats their excuse this time?
    Obama can talk about job creation till he is blue in theface but it won't be enough to make more than
    a dent in our unemployment problems.
    Giving states money that we don't have isn't going to work. Him giving his favorite companies money to build batteries and windows didn't work and will continue to be a joke.
    I'm not sure there is enough trust in Obama changing colors for our struggling companies to hire even if they get a tax break for it. Obama has done enourmous damage and it's going to be a long while before we see businesses hiring and unemployment going down.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I guess better late than never. Let's just hope his solution isn't another ineffective porkulus package that does nothing but increase the debt. The best thing he can do to create jobs is cut taxes on small businesses. They are the backbone of this country.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I would love to see him drop health care, drop cap & trade, drop all the other crap, and focus ONLY on job creation. So far, all he has created is debt. Without jobs, there is no way to pay for the other programs.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• When O was elected the unemployment rate was at 6.5%. When he was inaugurated it was at 7.2%. He pushed for the spendulous so that it would not go above 8%. Well, we all know it is now at 10%. He has done nothing for a full year to help the job market, but talk talk talk about it. Talk does nothing. He is still talking, and DOING nothing. He is holding hands with Sherrod Brown today in Ohio, where the rate is 10.9%. And still talking. And, that 10.9% does NOT include all the people who are getting the federal extension......I would like to know the REAL rate of unemployment in my state. I know it is bad, because I have a degree (oh, get a degree, and you will NEVER have to worry about getting a job, honey!!!) and I can't even get a PART-TIME job! I have seen 2 signs indicating road work being done b/c of the spendulous. Both on roads that don't need it. I think -- WAY TOO LITTLE, WAY TOO LATE.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Talk does nothing.

Sure it does - it makes the stock market tank every time he does it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I agree with mancosmomma. But I won't put this on Obama...not when my state's meltdown started long before he was even elected, with the real estate debacle.

Consider California the epicenter, folks. It all started here with those goofy loan packages that became revenue streams for many businesses.

Don't believe me? You should have been with me on many sales calls from '03-'06, when clients told me they were encouraging their customerss to tap into their equity in order to pay for their goods and services. Don't have $20K for a room addition? That's OK...take out a home equity loan. Want those dirtbikes or a $60K sandrail? Open up a HELOC!

No one wanted to believe the value of their homes would crash. No one heeded the warnings. Businesses were being built on the flow of easy credit. That's gone now, and many of my former clients are out of business. And all of YOU are feeling the impact only now.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'm in NC and it was over 12%...yeah...we out of the recession...that stimulus really worked **note sarcasm**
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Just goes to show how out of touch with reality they are, and his voters are figuring it out. Of course its a bit to late
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• 14% here and that is not including those who are wothout a job and can no longer get unemploymemnt or parttime workers. I think they said th ereal numbers are close to 50% here. No joke.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• The numbers rose as they do every year after the Christmas shopping season. This year is no different.
    AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 7:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010