How can I teach my lefty to write?

My ds is in Kindergarten. Today he came home upset. His teacher yelled at him because he doesn't put a space between his words. This is a child who, in k, is independently reading, writing sentences and using simple punctuation, all at a level far above the expected proficiency. For this teacher to berate him for something so small really angers me.

The problem is that she is telling him to use two fingers to space the words and he is a lefty, so when he puts down his right fingers, he can't write over his hand. I am sure he is perfectly capable of leaving a space without fingers, but he is all caught up in the spelling and forming sentences and he just can't grasp it. Are there any tricks to help my lefty?

jdanielle82

Asked by jdanielle82 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a lefty as well, and what you could try to get him to do is make a fist and take his thumb on his right hand and have him place the pencil next to his thumb and just put a tiny dot or start the letter of the next word. it's the same width two fingers and thumb width on children(at least mine LOL) Not sure if this will help him or not(place his thumb sideways i forgot to mention that LOL) but it's worth a try. or have him get a popsicle stick to put on the paper between words that might be easier for him.

Then i'd march down to the school and tell that teacher that if she ever berates your child in front of the other students like she did, you'll be speaking with the principal. She doesn't need to embarrass him like that.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• That is a tough one. What if he had a little square piece of paper that he could lay in between the words that was the width of his fingers?
    Anonymous

• My 3rd grader doesnt leave spaces!
    your real issue it that teacher, dont waste time on her.
    go to the principal and tell him/her that not only did the teacher cross a line and you expect her to apologize to your child, but that as career educators it is shocking that they havent devised a way to help the Lefties!
    Anonymous

• I'm a left and so is my husband and our kids are all righties.

My kids had the same problem early on and in early elementary and they all fine as adults and near adults. That is a common issue and actually many adults write similarly cuz as adults we're rushed in our notes whatever they're for.

We taught our kids to space to put the opposite index finger next to the end of the word and then write if they couldn't leave spaces figured by themselves. Another way: teach them to look at a word either printed or handwritten up above (however far up above but the next closer handwritten line of their own or teacher's writing /// OR typed letters) from where they then are writing.

And to leave five or six of those letter spaces between their words. Then we came up with an easier way -the child writes then picks up that hand off paper and resettles to their right - that in inself moves their spacing to the right.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I will be having a discussion with the teacher, the conference has been scheduled. Thanks so much for the ideas and the indignation on the behalf of my poor son. I can't wait to start trying your ideas. I'm starting with the popsicle stick!

Thank you!
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I'm a lefty and so is one of my kids and my advice to you would be to let him be because if you keep on him about it he'll start getting frustrated with school and will wind up hating it, I would also recommend you speak to his teacher and let her know she needs to be patient with him as a his teacher that she is maybe by speaking with her who knows she just might learn to understand him better hey they do say that us lefties are very smart!!!!! she might even be a great help to you with his sentences when he brings them home!!! sorry not too good at giving advice but it's my opinion hope it was of some help..
    mariloz

Answer by mariloz at 7:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't know where the teachers got this "two-finger rule" spacing thing. It drives me nuts. That's WAY too much space and looks ridiculous. Anyway, my vent on that.

Tell him to put his right index finger (or 2 if she's that anal about it) at the end of the word he just wrote, put his pencil to the right of that finger where his next letter should start (top if it's the top, middle if it's middle), and then pull his finger away while leaving his pencil there and THEN write the next word.
    Anonymous