How do you get bows in your DDs hair?

My 17 month old has hair all in her face and I like to try to put it up with a bow or pony tail to get it out of her face and to look cute. But she hates when I do that and pulls the bow or scrunchy right out. I even try to sneak them in while she is napping and when she wakes up, she pulls them right now. How do you keep bows and barrettes and stuff in your DDs hair? Oh and even with hats and hoods on her coat, she pulls right off.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 3:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use the tangle free rubber bands. You can get them in super tight. I haven't found anything else my daughter will leave alone. We only use bows for pictures because that's about how long she will leave them alone. I also gave up on hats and sunshades.
    Anonymous

• I don't.
    Just like you, I have tried and tried, but she won't leave things in. I'm teaching her to push her hair behind her ears, and I'm waiting for it to grow out more and get past this awkward "sheepdog" stage, lol.
    Anonymous

• My daughter never let me put anything at all in her hair until this year. She is 6. I could never even brush it! Now she likes it to look pretty, but she looked like a little orphan girl for a while there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't. I had bangs cut so the hair stays out of her face. If I'm lucky, a bow or barrette will stay in long enough for a picture.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My daughter was born with hair that was about 2 inches long. So I have been putting her hair up forever and she thinks nothing of it. My niece however, did the same stuff that your daughter is doing and my sister just cut her bangs. She is now 2 1/2 and allows my sister to do her hair with messing with it. Good luck.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• *without messing with it
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My daughter started preschool when she turned 2. She loved it and I told her that Ms. Kimber said she had to have her barrettes in to go to school (and Ms. Kimber played along) so my daughter went along with it. She started out pulling them out of her hair as soon as school was out, but eventually she got to where she would forget they were there and leave them in all day.
    I used the little jewel jaw clips and she could barely feel they were there.

Answer by missanc at 6:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• we use the really tiny rubber bands. i also tell her how pretty she is and she loves looking at her hair style in the mirror. while i realize this may backfire later on, it works for now! i also use barrettes at times, but those rarely last more than a couple of hours. i also have gotten some ponytail holders that are in different colors and she likes helping pick what ponytail holder to use with her outfit. i put those in over the little tiny rubber bands.
    irish_3078

Answer by irish_3078 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2010