Is it common for babies to hate tummy time?

My DS is 4 months old, and I can only put him on his tummy for a few minutes at a time before he goes into total meltdown. Will he get over this? I'm concerned he's not learning to use his neck and arm muscles enough.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 4:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Omg, lol! My son is also four months and is the same exact way...only he only lasts about 30 seconds, haha! I just told him, "We're going to the doctor Monday, and Dr. Smith told mommy to make sure you do 30 minutes of tummy time a day, and mommy is gonna look stupid if you haven't had any practice. Don't you wanna be able to crawl?", lol. What I've found works, that I discovered in a book, is holding them like a "plane" with your hands supporting everything but their head, and then walk them around the house tummy down. My son loves it, plus it gives him exercise for his neck. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• YES! Both of my daughters hated it. I was told to just do it 3 times a day for 5 minutes at a time.
    kngarber

Answer by kngarber at 4:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• my oldest and youngest HATED it with a passion. middle dd slept on her tummy so was perfectly content.

I eventually just stopped doing it with them.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• TOTALLY!!

That's their incentive to learn how to roll over!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Very

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My son has hated it from the beginning as well. Haha we started doing it around 3 months and he would cry after a few seconds. I was worried about it too, but his neck muscles got strong fast, even from just doing it for a few minutes a day. Now he's 5 months old and is rolling over from his back to his tummy, and will lay there for maybe 5 minutes tops before he starts to cry (he can't roll himself back over yet), so he still doesn't like it but its better than it was. Like another poster said, he does like it alot more if I lay him belly to belly with me or if he is looking at a toy or something colorful. Its hard work for them to hold those big heads up! Haha I wouldn't like it for very long either.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Mine despised it so much I stopped bothering with it. His tummy time was while nursing since I had to use a similar position then. But if he got 15 minutes on his tummy on the floor altogether in year one, I'd be surprised.

No head control issues AT ALL. And he was rolling right on schedule.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes my daughter would not get on her tummy ever I kept trying of course and never gave up even if it was try every hour for 5 mins she hated it though and cryed alot....if you are worried bout his neck and things like that ...they will be able to hold there head up eventually no matter what and if you are worried about there head being flat then you can rub their head in a circle gently a few times a day for that to help but I think you are fine sweetie just keep up the good work every mom gets worried about things and it is perfectly normal lol good luck sweet heart but you sound like a great mom who knows what they are doing to me!!
    Anonymous

• My DS hated it too. I mean he absoultley HATED it! I was always really concered too esp bc I thought it was so nessasry to do, but he is almost 9 months old now and perfectly fine in his delelopment. He is crawling pulling up on everything sits up well rolls over all at the times he should. So, your LO is probley just fine and I wouldnt force it or worry too much:)
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Sitting or lying down with baby on your chest counts for tummy time. :-) Putting them up on something (like a couch, with supervision) also works good for unhappy babies. My son hated tummy time with a passion until we figured out the couch. I think he felt like a bug that was about to get squished when he was on the floor. He always had really good head control, even though I was lucky to get 15 minutes of tummy time out of him in a day.
    My daughter, well, I wouldn't say she *loves* tummy time but she's a lot more willing to hang out on the floor and watch us. Of course, having an older brother who could potentially trample her at any moment means that tummy time only happens when he's napping or otherwise occupied. :-P
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2010