play dates? who should pay?

say you are going to have a child over for the day...and you offer to take the kids out to do stuff...a movie and lunch. should the other parent offer to pay their child's way or since its your idea should you pay for the child? Or lets just say you send your child to play at another kids house for the day...do you ask the parent if they are going to need money if they are going to be doing stuff? I just don't know the propper edicate for this.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure on the proper etiquette but personally, if I invite another child over to play and do outtings with us I don't ask for money (but it would be nice if the parents offered) I just pay for them. If my child goes somewhere with another family, I always send money. I guess thats a double standard but I just can't ask people for money, LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't know what is "proper," but if I send my daughter over to a friends and know in advance about an outing, then I give money. If I don't know in advance, then I thank them. If a friend is coming with us, I usually pay. If the parent gives the child money for the outing, I let them use it as their spending money.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• sorry i didnt know how to spell that word =)...atleast you knew what i was sayin
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• so...if you pay for another kids way..should you epect the other parents to pay your childs way in return?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• "expect"
    shay1130

• I would let the parents know what your plans are and if they offer $, great. I don't think they should be obligated to pay though, unless they decide where you're going and what you're doing.
    Anonymous

• lol...I've learned long ago to not expect anything from some of these parents, that way I don't get irritated, LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• if I was the host, I would look specifically for eateries that offer free meals for children that day! There are many places like that in my town. I wouldnt ask the parent "hey can you give me $ __ ?" I would pay for that child, but only as long as the destination wasnt an arm and a leg lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Lets see. If Im going somewhere and I ask for another child to go along with me then Im going to expect to pay for the child. If I didnt have the money I wouldnt have invited them. If they give the child money, I usually would let the child use it for themselves. If I send my daughter somewhere I give whomever she is with money for her or atleast offer it.
    Anonymous

• Usually if I'm taking my kid and his/her friend out I will offer to pay. When my kids are going out with another kid's family I will give the older ones money to offer to their friends parents or I will offer the other parent money to pay for my child's way. Usually the other parent will say no it's okay I'll pay.
    eliza738

Answer by eliza738 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2010