I'm going to lose it!

My daughter has started this crap where she screams this super high pitch scream all day long. She did it while sitting next to me earlier and I swear I felt it pierce my eardrum. Now my ear actually hurts. First, I told her not to do it....didn't work. Second, I just ignored it thinking that if I pay no attention to it, it won't be fun anymore for her......didn't work. Third, I put her in her crib for time out........didn't work, she just laid down even though she already had a nap.

I don't know what else to do, but I really can't handle this screaming crap. Any suggestions?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Continue to put her in "isolation." Or some other response she REALLY doesn't like. But do it every single time, same response. She'll get it eventually.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Oh this has been going on for a little over a week now, so my three different attempts at correcting this weren't all in the same day.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Maybe something is hurting her. If not, maybe she wants to be held and made to feel safe. She's trying to tell you something. Figure out what it is.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't think she's trying to tell me anything. She does it with a smile on her face. She thinks it's funny.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Whenever you are up to it not feeling too overwhelmed when she does this try screaming like her maybe she'll stop and look at you and say dam do I do that and maybe stop...idk I hope it works. It's a worth of try. GL Or just maybe just keep saying NO SCREAM and of course as she gets old you say Mommy don't like it when you scream or something like that...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My Dd does that, she screams then laughs hysterically! I have started when she does this covering her mouth with my hand and telling her in a stern voice' NO SCREAMING' She usually does it again and I repeat the action but this time I pick her up and put her in her room. I tell her if she wants to scream she can do it all by herself. She still does it sometimes but it has stared to slow down a lot! It's a new experiment. Soon it will get old and she will move onto something even more obnoxious for a while. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010