teacher's assistant

is there anyone who has been a teacher's assistant. if so, what are the pros and cons working this job. i thought about going back to school and before i did, i thought i ask all moms out there about this job. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I loved my job as a teacher's assistant. Of course I was blessed with a really great teacher to work with , she was fun and silly like me with the kids. We had a good time with the kids. I never got saddled with any paperwork. We would have teacher in staff days where the kids were off and even though we weren't actual teachers we had to come in and CLEAN. LOL was fun though, cause you usually had someone to clean and organize with. Tedious work, but that was the worst of it. I guess it depends on your school district and the teacher you have to work with. You can get a lazy teacher who makes you her flunky, or a teacher like I had who respects you and treats you as a human being. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have been, I loved helping the kids, they are wonderful. I almost always had great teachers. talk to some people at school.
    chevpam

Answer by chevpam at 4:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have a diploma for a Teacher's Aide but they don't make much money...:( For now I am a SAHM.
    Anonymous

• ya my moms a teahers aid..and she does more paper work than the teacher and doesnt get paid much.. were we r just just have to take your pracsis or whatever its called..you need no schooling at all...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I loooove my job as an EA (educational assistant). I work in program for special needs kids at the high school level and I wouldn't trade it for working with "regular" kids for anything. The only paperwork I do is behaviour documentation (like when I was scratched by a student) or if there are concerns (like noticing a bruise or odd behaviour from a kid). I have great teachers and a great admin, great co-workers and great kids (mostly!). There's about 80 of us between staff and students in our program, so of course there are personality conflicts, but for the most part we are a very cohesive team. I also make pretty good money. I make just under $18/hr for 5.5 hrs a day. As a mom it's great, I have all school holidays off, summers off, I only work when my kids are in school (my youngest goes to my mil's). For me it's win/win, a job I love that allows me lots of time with my kids.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2010