Does anyone else think that .....

Rent is rediculouse these days? I mean where we live I see houses being rented for $2,000 a month and I think that is crazy ! you could buy your own house and pay payments cheaper then that. How do people pay this ?I dont understand how people cna afford to pay even $600 or $700 a month & be able to support there family....what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• $600 a month would get you a STUDIO in many parts of SoCal. My first apartment in San Diego cost $570/month back in 1988...these days that one bedroom goes for something like $1300/mo.

Rents are what the market will bear..and the market is bearing those numbers right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Rent is always high in nice places, that is how they keep bad people out.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the area. When I lived in VA Beach, I was paying $1025 to live in apartment that was in NAS Oceana's flight path, it had roaches, rats, no washer/dryer, obnoxious neighbors, poor heating and a/c and it was about 1000 sq feet. I moved to Wisconsin and we have a 3 bedroom house, fenced yard, washer/dryer, completed basement, and pay only $1200 a month. It's in a great neighborhood that's only a block from the school. It sounds like we are paying a lot, but it's only $175 more and we got so much more for our money.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Anon 5:11pm I am the Op- and I can assure you my family is not bad people we do not do drugs we do not steal we work every day to support our kids but cant afford to move out of where we live because of rent prices and how hard it is to find a job and believe me there are more people who are rich living in nice homes and having a great life who sell drugs and who cheat honest people out of their hard earned money so dont be so quick to judge
    Anonymous

• It just depends where you live. We're moving from one small town to another, due to the lack of rental properties rent is high in both places. But when we lived in a college town we had a 2 bedroom place for $400.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Before we bought our house, we rented. Our rent was $500.00 a month, our landlord mowed and snow blowed. We could walk to pay our rent. Our mortage is a little under 800.00, and its been a little hard with only one real income. He starts a real job, on Monday.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 6:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes, it's very high. Depends on where you live, though. In Mpls/St paul it can be pretty spendy to live in the city and still be in a decent neighborhood. I got a saaaa-mokin deal 1400 (all utilities extra) for a 3 bedroom, 2 story house (only 1 bath, though) in a nice, college-y area really close to downtown. Until I found this place I was looking at 1200-1500/m for 3 br duplexes in so-so areas. On the other hand my best friend pays $800/m for her mortgage including taxes, with 2 bathrooms and a fenced pool/deck area in a small town north of where I live. She owns, though, so there are other costs.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It depends where you live. When choosing a apartment or house, renting or buying make your decision. Dont let anyone influence you. Remember you are the paying the bills.
    Anonymous

• If you are talking about houses, they owner must make enough to cover the mortgage, insurance and taxes. We have thought about buying a larger home and renting this one. The whole economy is so iffy though that we can't bring ourselves to do it. I larger house would be really nice though, especially if we bought one where I had more room, like a bigger separate building for my business!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Location and what the market will bear. For a year my husband lived in Corp housing in dt Chicago (East Wacker and N Michigan Ave) for $3,000/month- for a 1br/1ba
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2010