What do you normally tip when you go out to eat?

I'm just curious.

AngelDawn7

Asked by AngelDawn7 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Usually about 25%-30%. If the service is kinda bad, maybe 15%. I waited tables when I was about 19, and it taught me a lot. I think everyone should be required to work for tips at some point in their life.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• 20%
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• 15%.....I used to feel obligated to 20% if the service was pretty good. If the service was mediocre or bad, I would still tip at least 10%. But then I had a roomate who was a server (At high end casinos) for many years and he said 15% is very much appreciated and he didn't expect a dime more. He also said his tips reflected his poor moods and he knew he didn't deserve to be tipped if he was an ass that day.....he actually didn't mind getting tipped on those days! (I appreciate his honesty and know others don't feel this way....many want tips even if their service sucks)

So now I stick to 15%, especially because in most restaurants where I live (Las Vegas), the servers make a great deal more money than I do!!! haha And I don't feel bad at all leaving nothing if the server is a jerk!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• ***he didn't mind, NOT getting tips on the days he was in a bad mood....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It depends... if the server sucks, I'll tip 15 percent. if it's good service, at least 20%. We have left nothing ONE TIME... BUT the server didn't take our order, didn't bring our food, didn't refill our drinks, and didn't bring our check... SO our "server" didn't actually serve anything for us. So we left no tip. We tried to tip the manager (the one who took care of us during our entire visit) but she couldn't accept it.

NOW, when we go to that restaurant, i specifically ask NOT to be put in that person's section.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 5:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• 15% - 20% depending on the service
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 5:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• We tip 20%. If it is good, I'll round up to the nearest dollar, if not, I'll round down. I come from a family with many waitresses. I know how much they rely on tips. My sister once told me that if the server really sucks, don't just not tip. Leave $1. That way they know it's a slam and that you didn't just forget.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• We are in the 10-20% category. We have left as much as 30%. It was really good service. We dock 1% for each time the server walks by and doesn't notice that we need drinks or acknowledge us. It sounds harsh, but if you want your money you have to work for it. I have left a penny in the bottom of a water glass before b/c the service was really poor. That was what my mom taught me to do b/c it is a "slam" from when she was a serving as a teenager.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• 10-30% depending on the service. 30% is our starting tip level, like the pp we have guidelines. if the server drops off of our food and doesn't come back until they drop of the check they lose a %, if someone else notices we need drinks before our server our server loses a %, if we feel like the server is rude they lose a %, etc.. I have left handwritten tips before on the receipt...tips on how to be a better server and recieve a monetary tip. Hey, a tip is a tip...some are helful hints and some are in the form of money. LOL
    Anonymous

• 15%
    Anonymous